Practical Use of Code Studios

Tanguy
Tanguy Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Dataiku DSS Developer, Neuron 2023 Posts: 113 Neuron

I am starting this thread to learn about how others are using code studios (such as VSCode, JupyterLab, and Streamlit) and for what purposes. 

In our organization, we were initially excited about the feature introduced in DSS v11. However, our enthusiasm was quickly dampened by the fact that users cannot select the associated code env running behind each code studio. While we could ask our admins to build a new template with a specific version of python, we face two major issues: 1) we already have several hundred code envs on our Design instance, and 2) The Python paths used by code studios cannot be linked to our existing code envs (which users can regularly update). This situation prevents the code studio from adapting to the specific needs of the users. Although we can install packages in code studios, we can't change the Python version. As a result, no one uses them, even though we hope to utilize the new IDE and web app tools.

I am eager to hear feedback and experiences from the community.

Operating system used: RHL

Answers

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,914 Neuron

Hi, I don't believe these statements are correct:

"users cannot select the associated code env running behind each code studio"

"we can't change the Python version"

In Code Studios users can both change Python interpreter versions and select the code environment of their choice. Python interpreters and Dataiku Python Code Environments however need to be "baked" into the images that you build for Code Studio Templates so while building and updating these takes time this does work.

Below is screen showing a Dataiku Python Code Environment being selectable inside a Visual Code Studio Code Studio template. Note that I have Python 2.7, 3.6.x, 3.7.x, 3.9.x and 3.11.x all available as Python interpreters with some duplication due to how Python creates symlinks. While available these Python interpreters do not generally work as they do not have the Dataiku packages installed so the user will need to select a Dataiku Python Code Environment to run Dataiku Python recipes. So the user experience for selecting Python interpreters/code environments is not ideal but then again the target for Code Studios is to provide a full IDE experience so the personas using this capability should know their way around it.

Finally I am not sure what you mean by this statement:

"The Python paths used by code studios cannot be linked to our existing code envs (which users can regularly update)."

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…