Custom aggregation in Window Recipe (Fill a columns with last nonNull value)

Solved!
Avalo
Level 1
Custom aggregation in Window Recipe (Fill a columns with last nonNull value)

Hello

I start with Dataiku and try to fill the empty lines of a column with the last non-null value taken by the column.
I work on Dataset HDFS partitioning per day.

I have already tried the visual recipe "Fill empty cell with previous value".

Unfortunately as you can see in the attached picture; I would have liked this filling to be done only under the condition of an equivalence (here on the Device_Id , the red line is what I would like to avoid)

I suspect that by doing a "Custom aggregation" in a "Windows Recipe" it should be possible. Unfortunately I can't do it.

If someone has already encountered this problem and has a solution, I would be happy to get some help.

Thanks,
AV

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @Avalo ,

There are likely several ways to accomplish this, but I'll provide one option using a Python recipe. 

Here I created a sample dataset like you provided in your screenshot:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.31.50 PM.png

I created the following python recipe and utilized the pandas groupby in combination with the fillna option to forward fill the country values within the "device_id" group. The other fill options can be found here

import dataiku
import pandas as pd, numpy as np
from dataiku import pandasutils as pdu

# Read recipe inputs
sample_data = dataiku.Dataset("sample_data")
sample_data_df = sample_data.get_dataframe()
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTEBOOK-CELL: CODE

# Compute recipe outputs from inputs
python_window_df = sample_data_df # For this sample code, simply copy input to output

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTEBOOK-CELL: CODE
# this is the main transformation.  It updates the "country" column to group by the device_id column and forward fill country values within that group 
python_window_df['country'] = python_window_df.groupby('device_id')['country'].fillna(method='ffill')

# Write recipe outputs
filled = dataiku.Dataset("filled")
filled.write_with_schema(python_window_df)

Here's my output dataset, where the offending row you point out is now still NULL.  This could be adjusted based on the fill method.   โ€ƒ

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.34.41 PM.png

Hope that helps.  

Thank you,

Sarina 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @Avalo ,

There are likely several ways to accomplish this, but I'll provide one option using a Python recipe. 

Here I created a sample dataset like you provided in your screenshot:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.31.50 PM.png

I created the following python recipe and utilized the pandas groupby in combination with the fillna option to forward fill the country values within the "device_id" group. The other fill options can be found here

import dataiku
import pandas as pd, numpy as np
from dataiku import pandasutils as pdu

# Read recipe inputs
sample_data = dataiku.Dataset("sample_data")
sample_data_df = sample_data.get_dataframe()

# Compute recipe outputs from inputs
python_window_df = sample_data_df # For this sample code, simply copy input to output

# this is the main transformation.  It updates the "country" column to group by the device_id column and forward fill country values within that group 
python_window_df['country'] = python_window_df.groupby('device_id')['country'].fillna(method='ffill')

# Write recipe outputs
filled = dataiku.Dataset("filled")
filled.write_with_schema(python_window_df)

Here's my output dataset, where the offending row you point out is now still NULL.  This could be adjusted based on the fill method.   โ€ƒ

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.34.41 PM.png

Hope that helps.  

Thank you,

Sarina 

Avalo
Level 1
Author

Thank you very much for your help.

your solution is elegant and efficient.

Thank you,
AV

0 Kudos
AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @Avalo ,

You may also want to try the "Fill empty cells with previous/next value" processor that's available in the Prepare recipe. It will also let you do what you've described.

Cheers,

Ashley

0 Kudos