Custom Code Metric

Solved!
rmoore
Custom Code Metric

I'm attempting to make the best use of the "Custom Code" option for hyperparameter optimization and have a few questions. For reference, here are the comments on how to write the custom function:

# - y_pred is a numpy ndarray with shape:
# - (nb_records,) for regression problems and classification problems
# where 'needs probas' (see below) is false
# (for classification, the values are the numeric class indexes)
# - (nb_records, nb_classes) for classification problems where 'needs probas' is true
  • No real issues when "needs_probas" is false. By appending y_pred as a column to X_valid, I'm able to see which rows were predicted as "True" for my binary classification problem (for a given threshold)

With "needs_probas" set to true, I run into some problems.

• It appears that the shape of y_pred is different depending on whether the model is training or scoring. Here's the code I've implemented that seems to solve the problem (again for a binary classification problem). I'm wondering if this should be necessary or if I'm missing something?
 if len(np.shape(y_pred)) == 2:
        # scoring the model
        ds['probas'] = y_pred[:,1]
    else:
        # training the model
        ds['probas'] = y_pred[0:]
  • With "needs_probas" false, the scoring seems to be dependent on the threshold (a row's prediction will be "true" when the proba is above a threshold) and with "needs_probas" false, it appears that the threshold is not provided to the scoring function. Is this correct and expected or am I missing something? Maybe the "needs_threshold" property just isn't implemented in DSS for binary classifications? (https://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/generated/sklearn.metrics.make_scorer.html)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
fchataigner2
Dataiker

Hi,

you stumbled indeed on a not-so-nice behavior of the custom scoring handling, which passes the full output of predict_probas when doing the final scoring, and only the second column (the positive case) when doing hyperparameter search and k-fold. Your solution is essentially the best one can come up with.

You needn't worry about the threshold, as it is computed after scoring with your code: DSS will try different threshold values and call your scoring code with a single-column corresponding to the positive case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fchataigner2
Dataiker

Hi,

you stumbled indeed on a not-so-nice behavior of the custom scoring handling, which passes the full output of predict_probas when doing the final scoring, and only the second column (the positive case) when doing hyperparameter search and k-fold. Your solution is essentially the best one can come up with.

You needn't worry about the threshold, as it is computed after scoring with your code: DSS will try different threshold values and call your scoring code with a single-column corresponding to the positive case.

0 Kudos
MehdiH
Dataiker

Hi @rmoore ,

This has been fixed in release 8.0.2 : 

More precisely, the custom metric function can now correctly assume a y_pred shape of (N, 2) in the case of binary classification with needs_proba == True, when performing a hyperparameters search

Cheers

elnurmdov
Level 1

Hello, I am trying to create customer metrics to return precision score for first 100 predictions. Code is below:

import pandas as pd
from sklearn.metrics import precision_score

def score(y_valid, y_pred):

"""
    Custom scoring function.
    Must return a float quantifying the estimator prediction quality.
      - y_valid is a pandas Series
      - y_pred is a numpy ndarray with shape:
           - (nb_records,) for regression problems and classification problems
             where 'needs probas' (see below) is false
             (for classification, the values are the numeric class indexes)
           - (nb_records, nb_classes) for classification problems where
             'needs probas' is true
      - [optional] X_valid is a dataframe with shape (nb_records, nb_input_features)
      - [optional] sample_weight is a numpy ndarray with shape (nb_records,)
                   NB: this option requires a variable set as "Sample weights"
    """

scoring = pd.DataFrame()
    scoring['actual'] = y_valid 
    scoring['probability'] = y_pred[:, 1]
    scoring = scoring.sort_values(by = 'probability', ascending = False)
    top_100 = scoring.iloc[:100]
    pr_score = precision_score(top_100['actual'], top_100['probability'])
    return pr_score

I am getting following error:

File "<string>", line 23, in score
IndexError: too many indices for array

0 Kudos
elnurmdov
Level 1

Hello, where you pass needs_proba parameter?

0 Kudos
Chelsea
Level 1

Hi, from contacting Dataiku I have found that this feature will be available within Dataiku 11. 

0 Kudos
elnurmdov
Level 1

Hello, https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/release_notes/index.html, it seems that DataIku 11 is already released. Correct me if I am mistaken

0 Kudos