API endpoint implementation - Read project variables

Solved!
rona
Level 3
API endpoint implementation - Read project variables

Hello,

I would like to read the global variables of my project within an API endpoint implemented with a Python function.

I tried to use the REST API Dataiku to get the project variables. (DSSClient, get_project and get_variables)

Please, could you let me know if this is the right way to do it ? 

If yes, which settings are required ? (I got an error of type 'No connection adapters were found '  when I use the get_variables method).

If no, what is the best way to read the project variables ?

Annie

0 Kudos
1 Solution
rona
Level 3
Author

Hello,

I found the reason of the issue : the host reference was not specified correctly with the method DDSClient.

Now it works fine with the following statements :

client = dataikuapi.DSSClient("http://host:port","api_key")
project_DSS=client.get_project('TEST')
proj_var=project_DSS.get_variables()['standard']

Thanks a lot for your help

Annie

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Clรฉment_Stenac

Hi,

An API endpoint is completely isolated code that does not execute on DSS but on separate API nodes, and not within the  context of a project. It does not natively have a concept of project, and thus not of project variables.

You can create an API client manually in your endpoint, using DSSClient(dss_host, api_key) but you will need to hardcode this dss_host and api_key in the endpoint code, which is not something you usually want.

What do you want to do more precisely?

0 Kudos
rona
Level 3
Author

Hello Clรฉment,

Thanks a lot for your VERY quick reply.

We are developing a web application calling DSS API endpoints developped in Python.

Most of the functions, used in these endpoints, are setup in the project libraries initialized from a git repository shared with another team.

Due to the project context,  we want to use some project variables during the endpoints execution. 

I used the DSSClient with the host and a global api_key to access to the project. The issue happens when I use the 'get_variables' from the project.  It seems that there is an issue to read /projects/'project_name'/variables/.

I don't understand the error message about connection adapters. Please, could you help ?

Annie

0 Kudos
rona
Level 3
Author

Hello,

I found the reason of the issue : the host reference was not specified correctly with the method DDSClient.

Now it works fine with the following statements :

client = dataikuapi.DSSClient("http://host:port","api_key")
project_DSS=client.get_project('TEST')
proj_var=project_DSS.get_variables()['standard']

Thanks a lot for your help

Annie