Reduce mouse clicks to run only this recipe

Suggestion

Provide a way to directly run just the current recipe from the edit recipe screen with just one click or one keypress.

One solution would be to add a drop down to the Run button so it works in the same way as the RUN button in SQL Notebooks.

Another solution would be to implement the existing idea Ctrl-Enter to run a recipe.

Both would be ideal.

Background

Version 12 includes the option to run subsequent recipes. This is definitely a welcome feature. However, the current UI design for the recipe editing window requires not one mouse click but three mouse clicks to run just the current recipe. Running the current recipe only is most often what we want to do. Previously, clicking the Run button executed the current recipe. Now one clicks Run, then the Not recursive panel in the popup, and then RUN.

Certainly this approach provides clarity which I appreciate. However, for our most common use, it simply adds a couple of extra clicks.

Thanks,

Marlan

4 Comments

I am confused, I am on v12.1.3 and the run button runs a recipe while I edit it in a single click. Are you on a different v12 version that behaves differently?

I am confused, I am on v12.1.3 and the run button runs a recipe while I edit it in a single click. Are you on a different v12 version that behaves differently?

Hi @Turribeach, I am version 12.1.3 too. Maybe there is a way to turn off this behavior and it is turned off on your instance?

Marlan

Hi @Turribeach, I am version 12.1.3 too. Maybe there is a way to turn off this behavior and it is turned off on your instance?

Marlan

OK mistery solved. I spoke with Dataiku Support and the reason I wasn't seen it is because it never shows up on the first build of the last recipe. But it does show after that and this is currently "not configurable" I am afraid. It seems the intention was to  only show it for recipes that are not at the end of the flow. 

Personally I like to have the extra functionality and I think it's handy to be able to build with downstream options but it will be good to have the option for quick building a single recipe as well. Perhaps we can have another "Run" button say "Run Downstream"?

OK mistery solved. I spoke with Dataiku Support and the reason I wasn't seen it is because it never shows up on the first build of the last recipe. But it does show after that and this is currently "not configurable" I am afraid. It seems the intention was to  only show it for recipes that are not at the end of the flow. 

Personally I like to have the extra functionality and I think it's handy to be able to build with downstream options but it will be good to have the option for quick building a single recipe as well. Perhaps we can have another "Run" button say "Run Downstream"?

Thanks for the follow up on this @Turribeach. In fact, I just noticed the behavior you describe (where no message is displayed) on the last recipe in a flow and was wondering why. Now I know!

Thanks for the follow up on this @Turribeach. In fact, I just noticed the behavior you describe (where no message is displayed) on the last recipe in a flow and was wondering why. Now I know!