Exporting Dates to MS Excel

User Story:

As a Data Analyst, I'd like to be able to export Dataiku Datasets into MS Excel files and have the parsed Date Time come through into MS Excel as MS Excel DataTime Columns not Text strings in the style of an ISO Data Time, this would save time and reduce confusion on the part of date consumers.

Notes:

• Problem was discovered in Dataiku DSS V8.0.4

cc: @AshleyW 

--Tom
14 Comments

This would be great! We're also constantly importing and exporting Excel datasets with datestamps at my company. It would be great if both the Excel import and export capabilities could support Excel's DateTime object (64-bit floating point number of days since 1900-01-01 plus a day for the leap year bug in 1900). My team often uses prepare recipes to convert these, but it would be much better if DSS were to natively support them. Even when using a prepare recipe to transform dates to Excel format before export, since we can't set the format hint from Dataiku to indicate that these floating point timestamps should be treated as such, we currently have to open the exported files in Excel and manually format them as dates.

This would be great! We're also constantly importing and exporting Excel datasets with datestamps at my company. It would be great if both the Excel import and export capabilities could support Excel's DateTime object (64-bit floating point number of days since 1900-01-01 plus a day for the leap year bug in 1900). My team often uses prepare recipes to convert these, but it would be much better if DSS were to natively support them. Even when using a prepare recipe to transform dates to Excel format before export, since we can't set the format hint from Dataiku to indicate that these floating point timestamps should be treated as such, we currently have to open the exported files in Excel and manually format them as dates.

@natejgardner ,

Agreed.  You understand my pain.

--Tom

@natejgardner ,

Agreed.  You understand my pain.

AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi,

You'll be pleased to hear this idea is in our backlog and we are determining the next steps for development. We can't provide a timeline at this point, but be sure to check back for updates!

For everyone else, kudos the original post to signal that you're interested in Dataiku developing and releasing this! Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Take care,
Ashley

Status changed to: In Backlog

Hi,

You'll be pleased to hear this idea is in our backlog and we are determining the next steps for development. We can't provide a timeline at this point, but be sure to check back for updates!

For everyone else, kudos the original post to signal that you're interested in Dataiku developing and releasing this! Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Take care,
Ashley

@AshleyW 

Great News!

--Tom

@AshleyW 

Great News!

I ran into this challenge again.  Currently using V10.0.3

--Tom

I ran into this challenge again.  Currently using V10.0.3

TS3392
Level 1

This would be very helpful, most of our exported data goes into Power BI which can handle it just fine. It's the more ad-hoc requests for other stakeholders where this can be a tad frustrating.

Importing the data in excel through Power Query works as a quick fix but not ideal.

This would be very helpful, most of our exported data goes into Power BI which can handle it just fine. It's the more ad-hoc requests for other stakeholders where this can be a tad frustrating.

Importing the data in excel through Power Query works as a quick fix but not ideal.

AshleyW
Dataiker

Congrats - we're adding this to our roadmap! While timelines are always tricky, we'll let you know how it's progressing as updates are available.

If you've kudoed the post or added some comments about your particular use case, we may reach out to get some feedback.

Take care,
Ashley

Status changed to: Developing

Congrats - we're adding this to our roadmap! While timelines are always tricky, we'll let you know how it's progressing as updates are available.

If you've kudoed the post or added some comments about your particular use case, we may reach out to get some feedback.

Take care,
Ashley

@AshleyW 

So glad to hear that this is one step closer to reality.

--Tom

@AshleyW 

So glad to hear that this is one step closer to reality.

rl_wsmith
Level 1

Glad there is a plan to get an update in - same as others on the thread, my team often provides excel exports to stakeholders that don't utilize dataiku directly.  In order for dates to be in excel format, we have to go in each time and make the adjustments manually after exporting the excel.

Glad there is a plan to get an update in - same as others on the thread, my team often provides excel exports to stakeholders that don't utilize dataiku directly.  In order for dates to be in excel format, we have to go in each time and make the adjustments manually after exporting the excel.

It would be nice if the time zone display came threw in local time zone if I wanted as well.  

--Tom

It would be nice if the time zone display came threw in local time zone if I wanted as well.