Google Drive Plugin " Use Google Sheets online format" option

Solved!
tgb417
Google Drive Plugin " Use Google Sheets online format" option

With the Google Drive Plugin V1.1.4.  There is an option on the New Google Drive Dataset labeled"

[ ]  Use Google Sheets online format

In the Documentation I do not see a reference to this option.  I see instead an option that says

[ ] Save Dataset as Google Doc

What is the use case for this Google Sheets online format option?

How does it differ from the Google Sheets Plugin?

Operating system used: Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1

--Tom
0 Kudos
2 Solutions
AlexB
Dataiker

Hi Tom!

The Google Drive plugin provides a files system access to your gdrive account, so you can access any file stored on it, whatever its format is. So typically that would be csv of xls files...

Now, when you create a Google Sheets document, it appears in a your Google Drive. However, this is not a real file stored in your drive, but merely a pointer to another API where you can access you Google Sheets.

In read mode, the plugin can find the right API to retrieve your data, so that's not relevant. When you want to save a dataset though, you might want to create a Google Sheets document instead of a csv file. In this instance, you can activate this option, which makes sure your dataset is stored both as a Google Sheets and a link accessible from your drive, instead of just a zipped csv file.

View solution in original post

AlexB
Dataiker

If you are using the Google Sheet format option, choose csv. If not, then the plugin is transparent so you can save in any format you want.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlexB
Dataiker

Hi Tom!

The Google Drive plugin provides a files system access to your gdrive account, so you can access any file stored on it, whatever its format is. So typically that would be csv of xls files...

Now, when you create a Google Sheets document, it appears in a your Google Drive. However, this is not a real file stored in your drive, but merely a pointer to another API where you can access you Google Sheets.

In read mode, the plugin can find the right API to retrieve your data, so that's not relevant. When you want to save a dataset though, you might want to create a Google Sheets document instead of a csv file. In this instance, you can activate this option, which makes sure your dataset is stored both as a Google Sheets and a link accessible from your drive, instead of just a zipped csv file.

tgb417
Author

@AlexB ,

Thanks for the reply. Will give this a try.

Do you know if the Google Drive plug-in has the same column name limitation (25 characters) as the Google Sheet plug-in. I’ve recently had to abandon the Google Sheet plug-in for some use cases because it only supports 25 character data set column names.  (I’ve got some long column names.)

--Tom
0 Kudos
AlexB
Dataiker

The Google Drive plugin does not have this limitation. However, you will only be able to see the first sheet of your document, where the Google Sheets plugin let you select which one you can retrieve.

tgb417
Author

I've had a bit of problem with this one.

When trying to write to Google Drive while having the created as "Google Sheet" option selected.

What kind of recipe do you use to drive the input into thus datastore. (In other words how do you setup the upstream recipie to use this function)  For example if I use a Sync Recipie.  Do I choose .XLSX or .CSV?  If I'm using a Visual Prepare Recipe upstream of the Google Drive Folder, do I say to save as CSV?  Or somethings else?

--Tom
0 Kudos
AlexB
Dataiker

If you are using the Google Sheet format option, choose csv. If not, then the plugin is transparent so you can save in any format you want.

Labels

?
Labels (2)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku