How to upload TDE (tableau) file to DSS?

UserBird
UserBird Dataiker, Alpha Tester Posts: 535 Dataiker
Hi,

I want to upload a TDE file from tableau server to DSS. How should i go about it?

Narayan
Tagged:

Answers

• Clément_Stenac
    Clément_Stenac Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Registered Posts: 753 Dataiker
    Hi,

Unfortunately, DSS does not support reading from TDE files. It can only export data to TDE files, to get data from DSS to Tableau.
  • UserBird
    UserBird Dataiker, Alpha Tester Posts: 535 Dataiker
    As Tableau keeps its tde and hyper format proprietary as of now. The shortcut to get it into DSS is to use Tableau Data Prep tool, link to the TDE or Hyper file on your Tableau server or local filesystem and then on the Output tool export to CSV file format. You can then link or import that file into DSS for further use of the data.
  • BayDatAce
    BayDatAce Registered Posts: 2

Is it still the case that DSS can't read or connect to a .hyper file directly?

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,914 Neuron

The thing is you are trying to go against the river flow. Usually people create their data in Dataiku and then export it Tableau to visualise it:

https://www.tableau.com/solutions/dataiku

https://www.dataiku.com/product/plugins/tableau-hyper-export/

• BayDatAce
    BayDatAce Registered Posts: 2

That is indeed one workflow.
    In my experience working with multiple cross-functional teams, it's not always the case users have access to the source data table when connecting to their data. Rather they rely on Tableau Server as their 'data warehouse' and that is the only way they can have access to their data. In those cases, it is necessary to connect to data that's stored as a .hyper file on Tableau Server.

It is technically possible to connect to a .hyper file in DSS (it is one of the options in the drop down menu when creating a new data source). However I have run into an error message when attempting to do so.

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,914 Neuron

Well then it sounds like you should start a new thread as this thread is originally from 2016 and has nothing to do with your error.

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…