ODBC connection creation

sudheer_kumar
sudheer_kumar L2 Admin, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Registered Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We want to create connection using ODBC, Could you please let me know the process for ODBC connections.

Thanks.

Answers

• ATsao
    ATsao Dataiker Alumni, Registered Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

DSS currently does not support connecting via ODBC right now, only JDBC. Notably, it's important to note that ODBC is primarily used as a connector in a Windows environment, while DSS is Linux-only so it doesn't make much sense to use ODBC through DSS. With that being said, if ODBC is a requirement, there are 3rd party packages and modules out there, such as pyodbc, which would allow you to create your own ODBC connection through Python directly.

Could you clarify if there's a certain type of database that you're trying to connect to using ODBC where JDBC is not an option (or a JDBC driver isn't available)?

Best,

Andrew

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,598 Neuron

@sudheer_kumar

You do not say what database you actually need to connect with. ODBC is a MS Windows way to connect to a variety of databases. Dataiku running on Linux and Macintosh OS X is using JDBC drivers to connect to databases.

You may find this documentation about connecting to databases to be helpful.

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/sql.html

• rafael_rosado97
    rafael_rosado97 Partner, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 59 Partner

In my case, I would like to connect to a database called Progress. Client told me that they use ODBC driver.

I tried to connect to Progess database as mentioned on this blog using a JDBC driver, but an error appears: connect time out.

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…