Update DSS in the VirtualBox

UserBird
UserBird Dataiker, Alpha Tester Posts: 535 Dataiker
hello, how i cant update my dss in the virtual box ? thx a lot :)

Best Answer

• pbertin
    pbertin Dataiker Posts: 27 Dataiker
    Answer ✓

The VirtualBox image which we provide for DSS trials is a standard Linux (CentOS 7) installation, so the short answer is that the standard upgrade instructions apply:

http://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/upgrade_instance.html

The steps to upgrade are:

- start the virtual machine

- login to it using the "dataiku" account, either directly on the VM console or using SSH. The instructions for this depend whether you are running under VirtualBox or VMWare, and are printed on the VM console when it starts.

- download the new DSS kit from within the VM (or download it from your Mac/PC first and copy it to the VM):

http://downloads.dataiku.com/public/studio

- within the VM, using the "dataiku" account, issue the following commands in order to perform the upgrade:

# Unpack the new distribution kit

tar xf dataiku-dss-NEWVERSION.tar.gz

# Stop DSS

dss/bin/dss stop

# Upgrade

dataiku-dss-NEWVERSION/installer.sh -d dss -u

# Restart DSS

dss/bin/dss start

Note that another upgrade path would be to download and install the pre-built VirtualBox image for the new DSS version, and transfer your work from one to the other using project export/import DSS functionalities.

Patrice Bertin

Dataiku

Answers

• Angelo
    Angelo Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Registered Posts: 23 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @pbertin

@CoreyS
    suggested looking at this post to upgrade my current 8.0.1 version within, as opposed to install a new one (I've already done that) in order to have access to previous projects.

I'm using Virtual Box b.t.w. When I start the 8.0.1 instance I get the Linux terminal that kicks off the DSS server.

I went through the instructions and have a basic question:from the terminal how do I "download the new DSS kit from within the VM"?

Option 1 - I already have it in my host Windows machine local drive but I don't have VBoxGuestAdditions.iso needed to mount it to VB

Option 2 - directly from the VB terminal, I try to use wget xxxx to download it locally and it can't find wget as a command (followed this page instructions to downloaded from linux terminal - https://www.dataiku.com/product/get-started/linux/)

Once I have it locally in the VB console then I can probably unpack it and upgrade, but I'm getting stuck there.

Can you please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Angelo

()

• pbertin

Hi Angelo

it's indeed easier to directly download from the VM.

"wget" is not installed by default on CentOS 7 but you can easily add it with:
    sudo yum install wget
    then: wget <DSS_DOWNLOAD_URL>

Alternatively you can use the "curl" command which is always available. The equivalent syntax would be:
    curl -OL <DSS_DOWNLOAD_URL>

In both case, the download URL would be that of the dataiku-dss-X.X.X.tar.gz archive in the desired subdirectory of : https://cdn.downloads.dataiku.com/public/studio/

Hope it helps
    Patrice Bertin
    Dataiku

• Angelo

Ah right ok no problem. Will try that, makes sense.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Angelo

• Angelo

It seems to have worked, although it didn't seem to work in the first time I tried this. For some reason when you run the installer.sh it restarts the server automatically after it finishes so when you try to start it manually it it says "there's a server running at port 10000". I had to stop and start it again and run the installer.sh and now that I'm opening my existing instance (labelled as 8.0.1) I can see the latest version (10.0.2) options including the Quick Start guides. So all good.

Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

• pbertin

Hi Angelo

you should be good now. Indeed, the DSS installer script should be run with the DSS instance in the stopped state.

Best
    Patrice

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…