After installing - the web page is not loading

raftersvk
raftersvk Registered Posts: 6

DSS : 13.1.1

After starting DSS free edition, here is what I get by connecting to the server :

looking at the backend.log I don't see any error either (see file)

any idea what the reason could be ?

Operating system used: Ubuntu 22.04

Best Answer

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 2,024 Neuron
    edited October 6 Answer ✓

The backend log shows no errors, what do you get if you run this as the user that runs DSS services?

/home/djelinux/dataiku/bin/dss status

Also double check your DSS port here:

/home/djelinux/dataiku/install.ini

Finally it seems you have misunderstood how the installation works. The following directory:

/media/Disque2/Linux_Downloads/dataiku-dss-13.1.1/

IS NOT a temp installation directory, is a permanent directory that DSS needs to run. You can see how many times this directory is referenced in your backend.log. So in a nutshell in a DSS installation you have the DSS binaries, which you get when you untar the installer (in your case /media/Disque2/Linux_Downloads/dataiku-dss-13.1.1/) and the DSS Data Dir (in your case is /home/djelinux/dataiku/). You have neither of these in good locations. I would recommend something like /opt/dataiku/dss-13.1.1/ and /opt/dataiku/data-dir/ for better clarity of what's where. When you upgrade you simply untar the new version under /opt/dataiku/ and run the upgrade script over your Data Dir.

Finally the latest DSS version is 13.2.0 so I would go for that if you are just playing with it. You can just manual create the URL for the download, seems Dataiku are a bit slow to do that on their website.

Answers

• raftersvk

Thank you for your answer.

I indeed misunderstood the location of the install dir / bin / data directories at first and then chose to let it like that for testing purposes. Even if it's not "production safe" it should work as is.For the sake of answering you, here is the status of stop / start :

backend                          RUNNING   pid 168063, uptime 0:02:36
    ipython RUNNING pid 168064, uptime 0:02:36
    nginx RUNNING pid 168065, uptime 0:02:36

and the install.ini

[general]
    nodetype = design
    installid = JO32NSOFRvw5mC9G4FHgFuAL

[server]
    port = 11000

[git]
    mode = project

[javaopts]
    backend.xmx = 8g

As you have guessed, since this is all testing so far I can surely go with the latest version (and dot it properly with the directories). I will also try that and let you know

• raftersvk

Tested with the proper directories and latest version = all is working !

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 2,024 Neuron
    edited October 6

If the server is up and the port is correct but you still can't reach it this might be a firewall issue. Is the screen shot you posted from Ubuntu's itself or from another machine?

Here are few ways to check the nginx process is indeed listening in port 11000, post the results:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/278448/how-to-know-what-program-is-listening-on-a-given-port

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…