logging for Webapps

Solved!
Peter_R_Knight
Level 2
logging for Webapps

Iโ€™ve written a Webapp that is published to a dashboard.  Iโ€™d ideally like to be able to keep a log of who runs the web app, and some info about each run.  Do you have any ideas how I can do this? I think it is fairly easy in python to get the user name (see below), but Iโ€™m assuming that the user who only has dashboard read permission wonโ€™t have permission to either append rows to a Greenplum table to store my logs in, or write to a file in a Dataiku folder? Any ideas much appreciated.

import dataiku
client = dataiku.api_client()
auth_info = client.get_auth_info()
print("User running this code is %s" % auth_info["authIdentifier"])

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
fchataigner2
Dataiker

in Bokeh it's true that it's much harder to get the connected user from their headers. If you're fine with using unsupported internal APIs, you can do

# get the identifier of the webapp instance for bokeh
session_id = curdoc().session_context.id
# import the helper func from dataiku.webapps.run_bokeh import get_session_headers as get_bokeh_session_headers
# grab the http headers at the time of the websocket creation h = get_bokeh_session_headers(session_id)
# get the user from the headers, with the public API auth_info = dataiku.api_client().get_auth_info_from_browser_headers(h)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fchataigner2
Dataiker

Hi,

you can use get_auth_info_from_browser_headers() (see this sample ) to know which DSS user is making calls to the webapp. Since this will return the 'effective' user, you can run the webapp with a specific user that has access to greenplum using the 'run as' in the webapp's Settings

0 Kudos
Peter_R_Knight
Level 2
Author

Thanks for the input.  I'm new to web apps and I'm actually doing a bokeh web app.  Seems I don't have access to things like app? do you have any pointers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hey @Peter_R_Knight since you are new to webapps, I just wanted to recommend this resource from the Dataiku Academy: Web Apps in Dataiku DSS tutorial. I hope this helps!

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos
fchataigner2
Dataiker

in Bokeh it's true that it's much harder to get the connected user from their headers. If you're fine with using unsupported internal APIs, you can do

# get the identifier of the webapp instance for bokeh
session_id = curdoc().session_context.id
# import the helper func from dataiku.webapps.run_bokeh import get_session_headers as get_bokeh_session_headers
# grab the http headers at the time of the websocket creation h = get_bokeh_session_headers(session_id)
# get the user from the headers, with the public API auth_info = dataiku.api_client().get_auth_info_from_browser_headers(h)
Peter_R_Knight
Level 2
Author

Many thanks - that seems to be working.

0 Kudos