Using Clear step in scenario for HDFS output dataset

Solved!
farhanromli
Level 3
Using Clear step in scenario for HDFS output dataset

May I know if the 'Clear' step in the scenario works the same as directly deleting the datasets, i.e it will drop the table and its metastore?

clear step.PNG

delete dataset.PNG

Operating system used: Windows 10

0 Kudos
1 Solution
shashank
Dataiker

That's correct. Clear Step on a dataset runs the Drop Table command.

To Test it, create a scenario and add a step for clear on any dataset, run it, go to Last Runs and check Step Logs. You can see the statement submitted for the step in the logs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
shashank
Dataiker

That's correct. Clear Step on a dataset runs the Drop Table command.

To Test it, create a scenario and add a step for clear on any dataset, run it, go to Last Runs and check Step Logs. You can see the statement submitted for the step in the logs

0 Kudos
farhanromli
Level 3
Author

I have tried it out.

I do not find an explicit DROP TABLE command in the step. Is that expected?

0 Kudos
shashank
Dataiker

The other way is to check in the underlying database if the table has dropped or not. I am not sure which DSS version you're on and which database it is, but I can confirm that v10 and above I can see the DROP Table command statement in the Logs.

0 Kudos
farhanromli
Level 3
Author

I am using v8, probably that is why. At the moment the way I am confirming is by querying the table using notebook and I will get an error saying table does not exist.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
farhanromli
Level 3
Author

Update:

I can actually see the DROP command. Reason I did not see last time because i am executing on an already-deleted dataset. My bad.