Recommend Way for Comparing Metrics between Multiple Flow Datasets in a Check

Solved!
adamnieto
Recommend Way for Comparing Metrics between Multiple Flow Datasets in a Check

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any recommended way to create a check for a dataset that can reference metrics calculated from another dataset in the flow (most likely an ancestor dataset). 

For instance being able to see if the parent dataset and child dataset had a difference in min and max values for a particular column. 

Thank you for your help!

1 Solution
VinceDS
Dataiker

Hi, 

To achieve this I believe you will need to create a custom check using python.  You can retrieve metric values for various datasets in your project using the dataikuapi. Below is a starter code (for example to use in a notebook or recipe) that shows how to use the API to compare metrics values between a source and target datasets:

import dataiku
from dataiku import pandasutils as pdu
import pandas as pd
import dataikuapi

##Context
client = dataiku.api_client()
proj = client.get_project(dataiku.default_project_key())
source_dataset = 'tweets_scored_aggregate'
target_dataset = 'tweets_scored_aggregate_prepared'
##Metrics ID
record_count = 'records:COUNT_RECORDS'
unique_values = 'col_stats:COUNT_DISTINCT:text'

##Retrieve Metrics Last Value and Compute Difference
source_metrics = proj.get_dataset(source_dataset).get_last_metric_values()
source_record_count = source_metrics.get_metric_by_id(record_count)['lastValues'][0]['value']
print(source_record_count)

target_metrics = proj.get_dataset(target_dataset).get_last_metric_values()
target_record_count = target_metrics.get_metric_by_id(record_count)['lastValues'][0]['value']
print(target_record_count)

gap = float(source_record_count) - float(target_record_count)
gap

Then in your custom check you can set the business rule for the Check outcome based on the 'gap' value

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
VinceDS
Dataiker

Hi, 

To achieve this I believe you will need to create a custom check using python.  You can retrieve metric values for various datasets in your project using the dataikuapi. Below is a starter code (for example to use in a notebook or recipe) that shows how to use the API to compare metrics values between a source and target datasets:

import dataiku
from dataiku import pandasutils as pdu
import pandas as pd
import dataikuapi

##Context
client = dataiku.api_client()
proj = client.get_project(dataiku.default_project_key())
source_dataset = 'tweets_scored_aggregate'
target_dataset = 'tweets_scored_aggregate_prepared'
##Metrics ID
record_count = 'records:COUNT_RECORDS'
unique_values = 'col_stats:COUNT_DISTINCT:text'

##Retrieve Metrics Last Value and Compute Difference
source_metrics = proj.get_dataset(source_dataset).get_last_metric_values()
source_record_count = source_metrics.get_metric_by_id(record_count)['lastValues'][0]['value']
print(source_record_count)

target_metrics = proj.get_dataset(target_dataset).get_last_metric_values()
target_record_count = target_metrics.get_metric_by_id(record_count)['lastValues'][0]['value']
print(target_record_count)

gap = float(source_record_count) - float(target_record_count)
gap

Then in your custom check you can set the business rule for the Check outcome based on the 'gap' value

Hope this helps

adamnieto
Author

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
danf101
Level 2

Hi,

I don't know where to submit a feature request - but I feel like this is a common scenario (i.e. check the validity of new data based on initial dataset). It would be great if there was a dropdown option to check +-2std deviations from precomputed statistics and not only constant values.

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi @danf101 please feel free to utilize the Product Ideas board. The Product Ideas board is here to let you share and exchange your ideas on how to improve Dataiku. Here are some resources to help get you started:

How to suggest Dataiku ideas 
Participating on the Product Ideas board 
Suggest an idea

I hope this helps!

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos