Read excel attachment file from Outlook

GeorgeAlex
Level 1
Read excel attachment file from Outlook

I am new to Dataiku. Can we read an excel sheet from outlook email.

I need to access the excel report that comes in an outlook email box and load the data into a datawarehouse.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JordanB
Dataiker

Hi @GeorgeAlex,

If I am understanding you correctly and your goal is to programmatically retrieve Outlook emails with attachments, you would probably need to use the Outlook REST APIs. You could create a Python script to download email attachments that fit your criteria or create a scenario that polls for existing or new emails with attachments. To get support on how to use the Outlook REST APIs, you will probably want to reach out to Microsoft, since their API is managed by them. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks!

Jordan Burke

Dataiku

0 Kudos
munoj9
Level 2

where did this end? 

I am on the same train at the moment. 

@JordanB  are you saying i need designer ,capabilities to utilize python from within Dataiku to be able to use email attachments as datasets in Dataiku? 

0 Kudos
JordanB
Dataiker

@munoj9 if your goal is to programmatically retrieve Microsoft 360 email attachments from within DSS, you will need permission to write code in DSS. 

0 Kudos
me2
Level 3

You could do the following which might not be the best way depending on your requirements but would be quick to implement:

1. Set up a MS PowerAutomate rule that checks your MS Outlook Online (removes the need for you to log in via a computer) for the email and saves the file in your MS OneDrive folder or MS Sharepoint folder.
  2. Set up Dataiku flow that reads from your MS OneDrive or MS Sharepoint.  Reads the file and syncs into Dataiku.

Depending on your requirements you might be able to add the date from email to the excel file using PowerAutomate to build a historical table.

The one caution is if the file changes schema and that requires manual intervention to get is working again.

Let us know what you end up doing.  Godspeed!

munoj9
Level 2

I love that and currently doing it so! thanks! 

Do you think i would be able to set something in Dataiku that appends each file as it is sent? i think that date feature may help me do that. 

Thanks for your input by the way!

0 Kudos