Python SQLExecutor2 fails

Solved!
John_Kelly
Level 2
Python SQLExecutor2 fails

I'm trying to use the SQLExecutor2 in Python and am unable to get it to work in any form. I have tried multiple Python environments with no luck. The code below produces an error that the table can't be found, even though it very clearly exists. 

from dataiku.core.sql import SQLExecutor2

test_dataset = dataiku.Dataset("companies_for_sim_0")
test_query = """
SELECT
qx_company_name_pidx
FROM ERM_MASTER_PORTFOLIO_companies_for_sim_0
WHERE qx_company_name_pidx = 222263"""

executor = SQLExecutor2(dataset="companies_for_sim_0")
#executor = SQLExecutor2(connection="internal_envelop_postgresql")
executor.query_to_df(query=test_query)

If I use 

SQLExecutor2.exec_recipe_fragment(output_dataset=dataiku.Dataset("test"), query=test_query)

then I get the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
KeyError Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-42-e1ed12e378ef> in <module>()
11 #executor = SQLExecutor2(connection="internal_envelop_postgresql")
12 #executor.query_to_df(query=test_query)
---> 13 SQLExecutor2.exec_recipe_fragment(output_dataset=dataiku.Dataset("test"), query=test_query)

~/dataiku-dss-5.0.1/python/dataiku/core/sql.py in exec_recipe_fragment(output_dataset, query, pre_queries, post_queries, overwrite_output_schema, drop_partitioned_on_schema_mismatch)
163 overwrite_output_schema=True,
164 drop_partitioned_on_schema_mismatch=False):
--> 165 spec = json.loads(os.environ["DKUFLOW_SPEC"])
166 jek_void_call("sql/execute-partial-query-recipe",
167 data={

~/dss_data/code-envs/python/alex-temp/lib/python3.5/os.py in __getitem__(self, key)
723 except KeyError:
724 # raise KeyError with the original key value
--> 725 raise KeyError(key) from None
726 return self.decodevalue(value)

KeyError: 'DKUFLOW_SPEC'

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Thomas
Dataiker Alumni
exec_recipe_fragment is only running in Python recipes from the Flow - maybe are you trying to use it from a Notebook ?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
nicog
Dataiker
Let's imagine there's no issue with the connexions settings (otherwise, try also: conn = SQLExecutor2('cnxname')), is the output dataset named "test" exists ?
0 Kudos
John_Kelly
Level 2
Author
Yes "test" exists and the existence of test doesn't matter in the first place for the executor.query_to_df(test_query) call. And yes I have also tried creating the executor with the connection name instead of the dataset name, as can be seen in the commented out line of code.
0 Kudos
John_Kelly
Level 2
Author

Ok I got the query_to_df call to work by adding escaped " around the table name like so:

test_query = """
SELECT
qx_company_name_pidx
FROM \"ERM_MASTER_PORTFOLIO_companies_for_sim_0\"
WHERE qx_company_name_pidx = 222263"""

I still get the same

KeyError: 'DKUFLOW_SPEC'

for SQLExecutor2.exec_recipe_fragment(output_dataset="test", query=test_query), though, which is the one I really need to use (the actual dataset is far too big to load into memory).

0 Kudos
Thomas
Dataiker Alumni
You may be trying to use exec_recipe_fragment from a Jupyter notebook ? It is only supported in Python recipes though (in the Flow directly).
0 Kudos
Thomas
Dataiker Alumni
exec_recipe_fragment is only running in Python recipes from the Flow - maybe are you trying to use it from a Notebook ?
John_Kelly
Level 2
Author
Yes, that was it. Thank you!
0 Kudos