Passing Variable to a Filter Recipe

HeteshPatel
Level 2
Passing Variable to a Filter Recipe

Hi, this seems pretty trivial but I can't seem to get it to work;

I have declared a variable called "COBDate" = "2022-01-28"

I can also select this variable within the filter recipe and DSS reports the correct value within the variables preview, however when executing a simple formula based filter such as;

COBDate == variables["COBDate"]

results in no records

however running

COBDate == "2022-01-28"

does work, I'm not sure how the filter recipe is parsing my variable through, any suggestions

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @HeteshPatel ,

Could you try changing the name of your variable to be different from the name of the column?

E.g define your variable as COBDate_var in your project variables  and then use COBDate == variables["COBDate_var"]

Thanks,

0 Kudos
HeteshPatel
Level 2
Author

Thanks for the response @Alex I have tried that but no affect unfortunately.

As a workaround for now I've resorted in using Python to filter my dataframe using the below code which works, just not sure why the Filter recipe doesn't like it, I have a feeling it is to do with the quotations possibly but not sure how to wrap the variable within the filter recipe formula?

df.query('COBDate == "{}"'.format(dataiku.get_custom_variables()["COBDate_var"]))

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi,

Glad you found a workaround. The filter with a variable used in formula for filter worked fine on my end can you confirm :

1) The exact JSON on how your variable is defined

2) The type of the COBDate column ( date, string?)

3) Your DSS version

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
HeteshPatel
Level 2
Author

Hi Alex

1. Variable below;

{
  "COBDate_var": "2022-01-31"
}

2. Field COBDate is type String

dataikuschema.png

3. DSS version is 9.0.5

Did some tests and it seems I can get it to work if I use the native filter criteria 

dataikufilter.png

but since I need to apply additional conditions which are OR conditions I switch to formula, DSS automatically evaluates the variable and hard codes it thus removing the dynamic nature of the variable.

strval('COBDate') == '2022-01-31'

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi,

I had no issue using something COBDate == variables["COBDate_var"] within the formula of the filter recipes can you share an exact syntax you used within the formula filter?

0 Kudos
HeteshPatel
Level 2
Author

Hey Alex,

I get null results when executing this, despite the query having records that match this criteria

( strval('LN_TypeOfSft') == 'ABC' ) && 
( COBDate == variables["COBDate_var"] ) && 
(( strval('ParticipantName') == 'XYZ' ) || 
( strval('ParticipantName') == 'KYC' ))

0 Kudos
stephl
Level 2

Hi, I have the same issue at my end.

May I know if you could successully solve that issue with the filter recipe?

0 Kudos