Passing Variable to a Filter Recipe

Options
HeteshPatel
HeteshPatel Registered Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, this seems pretty trivial but I can't seem to get it to work;

I have declared a variable called "COBDate" = "2022-01-28"

I can also select this variable within the filter recipe and DSS reports the correct value within the variables preview, however when executing a simple formula based filter such as;

COBDate == variables["COBDate"]

results in no records

however running

COBDate == "2022-01-28"

does work, I'm not sure how the filter recipe is parsing my variable through, any suggestions

Tagged:

Answers

• Alexandru
    Alexandru Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 1,209 Dataiker
    Options

Hi @HeteshPatel

Could you try changing the name of your variable to be different from the name of the column?

E.g define your variable as COBDate_var in your project variables and then use COBDate == variables["COBDate_var"]

Thanks,

• HeteshPatel
    edited July 17
    Options

Thanks for the response @Alex
    I have tried that but no affect unfortunately.

As a workaround for now I've resorted in using Python to filter my dataframe using the below code which works, just not sure why the Filter recipe doesn't like it, I have a feeling it is to do with the quotations possibly but not sure how to wrap the variable within the filter recipe formula?

df.query('COBDate == "{}"'.format(dataiku.get_custom_variables()["COBDate_var"]))

• Alexandru
    Alexandru Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 1,209 Dataiker
    Options

Hi,

Glad you found a workaround. The filter with a variable used in formula for filter worked fine on my end can you confirm :

1) The exact JSON on how your variable is defined

2) The type of the COBDate column ( date, string?)

3) Your DSS version

Thanks,

Alex

• HeteshPatel
    edited July 17
    Options

Hi Alex

1. Variable below;

{
      "COBDate_var": "2022-01-31"
    }

2. Field COBDate is type String

dataikuschema.png

3. DSS version is 9.0.5

Did some tests and it seems I can get it to work if I use the native filter criteria

dataikufilter.png

but since I need to apply additional conditions which are OR conditions I switch to formula, DSS automatically evaluates the variable and hard codes it thus removing the dynamic nature of the variable.

strval('COBDate') == '2022-01-31'

• Alexandru
    Options

Hi,

I had no issue using something COBDate == variables["COBDate_var"] within the formula of the filter recipes can you share an exact syntax you used within the formula filter?

• HeteshPatel
    edited July 17
    Options

Hey Alex,

I get null results when executing this, despite the query having records that match this criteria

( strval('LN_TypeOfSft') == 'ABC' ) && 
    ( COBDate == variables["COBDate_var"] ) && 
    (( strval('ParticipantName') == 'XYZ' ) || 
    ( strval('ParticipantName') == 'KYC' ))

• stephl
    stephl Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 8
    Options

Hi, I have the same issue at my end.

May I know if you could successully solve that issue with the filter recipe?

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…