No Publish Button for Charts

Solved!
malexs
Level 2
No Publish Button for Charts

I'm new to Dataiku and have been working through the introduction courses and am stuck at the point of publishing a dataset chart to appear on a dashboard. https://knowledge.dataiku.com/latest/courses/lab-to-flow/reporting/reporting.html#publish-to-a-dashb...

Basically I need to "Click Publish in the upper right corner of the Charts tab.", however there is no Publish button on the charts tab... (I've attached a schreenshot of my screen)

I'm on community version in virtualbox.

Reference: https://knowledge.dataiku.com/latest/courses/quick-start/ai-consumer/publish-insights-to-dashboard.h...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
awiebe
Level 1

It seems to be a bug on the user/profile level. A colleague checked the same projects where the button didnt show up for me and she could see the buttons. It was not a permission issue, either. We checked that. Also I did not have the publish button after creating new projects regardless of the new projects being tutorials or not.

Creating a new profile for me was the the solution in the end. Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies
tgb417

@malexs 

Iโ€™m not at my computer to test this so I might be wrong.  but, Iโ€™d like to invite you to try clicking the little gray arrow in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  There is a pull out screen there.  You should see a publish option there. 

you might also try to resize the screen

mac (command)0            โ€” that the number 0

pc (control) 0

you might also force refresh the browser window 

mac (command)(shift)R

pc (control)(shift)R

let us know how you get along with that.  

--Tom
0 Kudos
malexs
Level 2
Author

@tgb417  thanks for the suggestion. 
I had tried this and while there is a publish in the slide out window part, it appears to publish the dataset as a table, it doesn't actually publish the charts to an insight/dashboard.

0 Kudos
malexs
Level 2
Author

So working through the Academy I ended up creating a new project and that new project had the publish button for charts visible where the first one didn't.

It appears that the core difference is how the project was created. If you create a project by "clicking +New Project, select DSS Tutorials from the list, click on the Core Designer / Basics section and select Basics 101.", the resulting project won't allow you to publish reports, but if you create it from a blank project you will be able to..

0 Kudos
SeanA
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @malexs , creating a blank project or one of the starter projects should have no impact on whether you are able to publish a chart insight to a dashboard.

Is it possible that you are looking at the chart in a visual analysis and did not deploy your work from the Lab to the Flow?

Dataiku
0 Kudos
SeanA
Community Manager
Community Manager

@malexs I see your screenshot now, and so agree it is a dataset in the Flow.

Dataiku
0 Kudos
malexs
Level 2
Author

Yeah it is a weird one, I tested it out by creating another project from Basics 103 project and it had the publish button missing as well. I've only tested that and Basics 101 project so there could just be something weird with how those projects were setup..

0 Kudos
SeanA
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @malexs , I haven't been able to reproduce your issue. While I wait to hear from other sources with a possible explanation, I just want to confirm a few things:

- When you create a blank project, you have the Publish button in a dataset you've uploaded to the Flow.

- When you create the Basics 101 or 103 projects, you don't have a Publish button from any dataset in the Flow.

Can you try creating another project such as "DSS Tutorials > General Topics > Haiku Starter"? Then let us know if you have a publish button in the Charts tab from a dataset in the Flow.

Dataiku
0 Kudos
malexs
Level 2
Author

With that project, creating a sample chart, there is no publish button, see attached.

0 Kudos
awiebe
Level 1

I have the same issue

0 Kudos
awiebe
Level 1

It seems to be a bug on the user/profile level. A colleague checked the same projects where the button didnt show up for me and she could see the buttons. It was not a permission issue, either. We checked that. Also I did not have the publish button after creating new projects regardless of the new projects being tutorials or not.

Creating a new profile for me was the the solution in the end. Hope that helps. 

younes
Level 1

I also have the same issue. Unfortunately, this is really a problem.. I need to move on with the courses to be able to have the certif at work.. but this problem is annoying / blocking.. I can't restart from scratch.. and I can't create another account as this has to be on my work account to get a license..

This problem exists since 2022, I'm a bit shocked as to why it hasn't been already solved...

0 Kudos
SeanA
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @younes , could you provide us your DSS version and user profile settings? That will help us try to reproduce your issue. Thanks!

Dataiku
0 Kudos
younes
Level 1

Hi Sean,

How do I get these pieces of information ? You can DM me.

0 Kudos
SeanA
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @younes , you can find your Dataiku version by clicking on the question mark near the top right of the screen and then About.

To find your user profile settings, click on your profile at the very top right. On the left hand side, you should see your profile.

Dataiku
0 Kudos