Survey banner
Switching to Dataiku - a new area to help users who are transitioning from other tools and diving into Dataiku! CHECK IT OUT

How to run Streamlit version 1.24

Solved!
Marlan
How to run Streamlit version 1.24

Hi all,

Any suggestions on how to run Streamlit version 1.24.0 in a Code Studio? I'd like to use the chat_message and chat_input elements introduced in that version to build an LLM chat UI.

I am running the Dataiku hosted edition, version 12.1.0. 

I've tried creating a separate code environment for use in the code studio template but wasn't able to create a code environment with Streamlit version 1.24 in it (when I specified that version, the environment failed with a Jupyter support installation failed error.

I was able to create a code environment with an older version of Streamlit and include it in a code studio template but then the Code Studio start up never finished.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Marlan

cc @info-rchitect@importthepandas, @AlexT 

1 Solution
Marlan
Author

OK, I figured out a solution - at least for the cloud version of Dataiku. 

Create streamlit code studio template as follows:

Step 1: Add a Append to Dockerfile block. Specify the following statement in the dockerfile text box:

RUN python3.9 -m venv /home/dataiku/streamlit-v125-env && (source /home/dataiku/streamlit-v125-env/bin/activate && pip install streamlit==1.25.0 "numpy==1.23.1" "urllib3<2" "altair==4.2.2")

I worked this out by looking at docker files for other code studio templates; I've not used docker files before so could be I'm doing something really dumb - if so let me know please! - but it does work.

Note that I added the numpy==1.23.1 because without this importing dataiku results in an invalid use of np.bool error. 

I didn't test whether it is necessary to put this block before the Streamlit. I'd guess it doesn't matter.

Step 2: Add the Streamlit block

Specify the following settings:

Code env mode: Manually installed [advanced]

Code env path: /home/dataiku/streamlit-v125-env

Leave everything else at the default settings.

The code environment path should match the path used in the Append to Dockerfile statement. 

Step 3: Add the Visual Studio code block with the default settings.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marlan
Author

OK, I figured out a solution - at least for the cloud version of Dataiku. 

Create streamlit code studio template as follows:

Step 1: Add a Append to Dockerfile block. Specify the following statement in the dockerfile text box:

RUN python3.9 -m venv /home/dataiku/streamlit-v125-env && (source /home/dataiku/streamlit-v125-env/bin/activate && pip install streamlit==1.25.0 "numpy==1.23.1" "urllib3<2" "altair==4.2.2")

I worked this out by looking at docker files for other code studio templates; I've not used docker files before so could be I'm doing something really dumb - if so let me know please! - but it does work.

Note that I added the numpy==1.23.1 because without this importing dataiku results in an invalid use of np.bool error. 

I didn't test whether it is necessary to put this block before the Streamlit. I'd guess it doesn't matter.

Step 2: Add the Streamlit block

Specify the following settings:

Code env mode: Manually installed [advanced]

Code env path: /home/dataiku/streamlit-v125-env

Leave everything else at the default settings.

The code environment path should match the path used in the Append to Dockerfile statement. 

Step 3: Add the Visual Studio code block with the default settings.

June
Level 3

We tried this in our on-premise Dataiku node and it works.  Thank you for the workaround!