How to replace scientific notation

hagdouglas
Level 1
How to replace scientific notation

Bonjour,

I have a dataset with scientif value , i can't find the solution to convert them in numeric.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jereze
Community Manager
Community Manager

Maybe using the "Formula" processor? See here.

Jeremy, Product Manager at Dataiku
0 Kudos
Romana
Level 3

Hi,

is there any update on this topic? The scientific value appears in SQL notebooks as well as when connecting to the SQL DB. Even though in the SQL DB the value appears correctly.

In my case, the prepare recipe with formula does not affect the output formatting. 

Thank you for any help!

Best regards,

Romana 

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi @Romana we actually wrote a Knowledge Base article on this topic: How to remove scientific notation in a column.

I hope this helps!

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos
Romana
Level 3

Hi @CoreyS ,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this does not work.. 

In the prepare recipe after applying formula the value looks OK "54555139.94" but in the actual output of the prepare recipe the value is shown again as "5.455513994E7" . The formula I use is: "format("%.2f", numval("column name"))"

Also this does not really solve the issue when I want to explore values stored in SQL DB and I only want to create a new dataset without any visual recipes. 

Joeiku
Level 2

Can confirm that this solution does not work, I am having the same problem as Romana. 

ktgross15
Dataiker

Hi all,

I hear your frustration. The knowledge base article has actually been updated to specify that the storage type would need to be changed to string in the output dataset in order for the regular number format to persist visually (otherwise you only see within the prepare recipe). I'm aware that this is definitely not an ideal solution, but unfortunately that's the best solution now.

Feel free to submit a feature request on this topic here so that the product team is aware of your interest in changing the default numerical format from scientific notation to standard number format.

Katie

0 Kudos
tgb417

@ktgross15 

Iโ€™d +1 the sentiment that this is not an optimal situation for most businesses.  Particularly if the value is fully expressed in the underlying storage.  

--Tom
0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

@Romana @Joeiku Here is another thread where an answer to your issues should apply. I've spoken with Makoto and he confirmed that this solution should apply: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Using-Dataiku-DSS/Scientific-Notation-not-removed-by-format-functio... 

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos