How to fetch "thrown" error message from get_details()?

rs0105
Level 2
How to fetch "thrown" error message from get_details()?

I want to capture the thrown error message from json by get_details(). There are currently multiple steps in build dataset and one of the steps gets failed and I need to fetch the error message of the failed step which is present inside "thrown". So, could you please help me identify the hierarchy through which I can fetch the "thrown" error message from get_details()? Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @rs0105,

Here's an example of pulling the "thrown" scenario result field for any steps within a scenario that failed. 

import dataiku
from dataiku import pandasutils as pdu
import pandas as pd

client =  dataiku.api_client()
project = client.get_project('YOUR_PROJECT')
scenario = project.get_scenario('YOUR_SCENARIO')

# gets the most recent scenario run 
last_run = scenario.get_last_finished_run()

# for each step within the scenario, get the step "status". 
for step in last_run.get_details()['stepRuns']:
    # If the step failed, get the step name and "throw" field:
    if step['result']['outcome'] == 'FAILED':
        # log "Thrown" message
        print('Step name: ' , step['step']['name'])
        print('Error: ', step['result']['thrown'])

In the above, the "step" object will contain the details for each step. You can print it to take a look at the full details. Within the "result" key, you'll get information on the step success or failure in addition to the "thrown" field that will contain the error details for that specific step. Within the "step" key, you'll find information about the actual step (name, id). 

Here's a brief example where I have a scenario that failed in the second step: 

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.25.55 PM.png

When I run the above code on this scenario, I get the name of the step and the thrown error message back, just for the failed step:

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.26.03 PM.png

If this doesn't address your use case, could you provide a little more detail and attach some screenshots illustrating your use case for us to take a look?

Thank you,
Sarina

0 Kudos