How can we "User Secrets" in visual recipes?

Siddharth1316
Level 2
How can we "User Secrets" in visual recipes?

Hi Team - 

Is it possible to use the user secret value in the "Export to Folder" recipe? I am basically looking for a way to pass user credentials through this recipe. I do not see the option of variable override/JSON override in this recipe as of now.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi, @Siddharth1316 ! Can you provide any further details on the thread to assist users in helping you find a solution (insert examples like DSS version etc.) Also, can you let us know if youโ€™ve tried any fixes already?This should lead to a quicker response from the community.

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos
Siddharth1316
Level 2
Author

Hi @CoreyS . Thanks for the note. Adding a couple of screenshots that maybe helpful. I am looking for a way to not entering my tableau credential in each "export to folder" recipe. An option like variable override could be very helpful. But that would not work in this case.

DSS version - 8.0.4

1. User preset -> How can i configure these user presets and use them in my recipe?

Siddharth1316_0-1614420127592.png

2. How can call user added creds/user secrets to my visual recipe/Export to folder recipe?

Siddharth1316_1-1614420171710.png

SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @Siddharth1316 ,

It sounds like you have two questions with the ultimate goal of using stored credentials to perform exports to a plugin like Tableau.  

To answer the question regarding user credentials first, you cannot select these as an option for credentials in something like this export recipe.  These can be access in Python or R code

However, for a case like the one you outline here, using a Plugin preset is probably the best option for storing Tableau credentials. You can set up multiple presets if you like, and you can also set them at the project level as well as globally.  The presets can be limited to certain user groups as well, so you have control over access through this method. You also should not need to enter in Tableau credentials in recipes when you have Presets set up. 

Presets are maintained in the plugins tab. To access them, you can go into the Plugins option on the menu > select the Tableau Hyper Format plugin > Settings > Tableau Server Preset > + Add Preset. You may need to ask an Admin if you don't have access to this.     

From there you will enter you credentials and assign access to the preset:

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.22.44 PM.png

If it's enabled, you would also see this option at the project level under the "..." menu > Settings > Plugin Presets > Tableau Hyper Format > New Preset. 

Once you add your preset, it should be available to select when performing an export like this:

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.24.20 PM.png

Let me know if you have any questions about this or if it doesn't address your use case.

Thanks,
Sarinaโ€ƒ