Expose only selected dashboards or insights to user, in community/free edition

Solved!
rfernandez2007
Level 2
Expose only selected dashboards or insights to user, in community/free edition

Hi,

I have created a project with my user User1, and I want a User2, who is a business user, to be able to access the dashboards and insights I have created in the project.

On the other hand, I'd like to prevent her to see and/or access the project itself, as the only thing she needs to see are the results, and to see all the project development on the screen is confusing for her.

Is it possible to do this in the free edition? I know there are no permissions, roles, etc., but perhaps there is another way to achieve this by means of applications or something else.

Thank you!
Regards
Ricardo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
tgb417

Yes,  You are correct that this is not a no-code or low-code solution.  With the free version, security and putting it into a "production" environment is not really a strength.

Do you have access to any of the major data visualizations tools out there like Tableau or Power BI.  You could use Dataiku for the ETL and Data Modeling parts.  And then make those results available to others using a different data visualization tool.  One of my favorite tricks is to make data available and simple visualizations in an MS Excel Spreadsheet over an ODBC Connection.

There are also plugins for Dataiku DSS that can help you more easily connect with these tools.  Here is a set of Links Below to some of those additional options.

Those are my quick ideas.  Do others have any further ideas for @rfernandez2007?

--Tom

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tgb417

@rfernandez2007,

Welcome to the Dataiku Community.

If I remember correctly most of the security items are turned off in the Free Edition.  Everyone is in effect a DSS administrator.  I think that you have to go to the paid edition of Dataiku DSS to get the kind of security you are discussing here.

You might look at Web Apps, to provide a dashboard without giving permissions to DSS Projects.

--Tom

--Tom
0 Kudos
rfernandez2007
Level 2
Author

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your answer. 
I will explore the web apps path in depth. 
Regarding this path, I've already taken a quick look at the web apps feature, and I had the impression (maybe the wrong one) that this requires at least some coding as it is based on different programming frameworks, which I'm trying to avoid as long as it is possible.
Are you aware if there is a no-code/low-code option to get this web app up feature and running?

Thank you!!
Warm regards
Ricardo

0 Kudos
tgb417

Yes,  You are correct that this is not a no-code or low-code solution.  With the free version, security and putting it into a "production" environment is not really a strength.

Do you have access to any of the major data visualizations tools out there like Tableau or Power BI.  You could use Dataiku for the ETL and Data Modeling parts.  And then make those results available to others using a different data visualization tool.  One of my favorite tricks is to make data available and simple visualizations in an MS Excel Spreadsheet over an ODBC Connection.

There are also plugins for Dataiku DSS that can help you more easily connect with these tools.  Here is a set of Links Below to some of those additional options.

Those are my quick ideas.  Do others have any further ideas for @rfernandez2007?

--Tom
tgb417

@rfernandez2007 ,

In what direction do you think you will end up going related to your use of DSS and making content available to a data consumer?

I'm interested because I work with a number of cultural non-profit organizations, who find choosing the right tool mix to be a challange.

--Tom
0 Kudos
rfernandez2007
Level 2
Author

Hi,

It's a long story and probably not so interesting for the purposes of this topic, so I'll send you a message with the answer.

Thank you!!