Creating output datasets through R notebook and re-usability of R notebooks in general.

adityaj
Level 1
Creating output datasets through R notebook and re-usability of R notebooks in general.
Hello Team,

I have the following scenario/use case in DSS with R, for which I have some questions (I have an R notebook in which data aggregation and visualization code has already been created):

1. Colleagues upload their data,

2. Make minor modifications to the generic R notebook,

3. Save/export the aggregations and visualizations on their local machines.

I would like to know if there is a way to create output data sets directly through a R notebook in DSS through any available command. Currently, I understand that during creation of a R recipe in DSS, the output datasets are usually specified beforehand (but populated through R code), but I am not sure how can this functionality can be done using an R notebook.

Regarding re-usability, I would like to know on how can I share the R notebook with other colleagues? Eg: Do I need to share the project flow which would in turn make the R notebook accessible to them? or anything else?

Also, can a R notebook be created and executed independently without an R recipe in the DSS project/flow? I have both a R recipe and R notebook which contains almost the same code, but would like to switch to R notebook completely (as it offers interactivity over a recipe) if possible.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hear your views/suggestions.

Regards,

Aditya.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
cperdigou
Dataiker Alumni

I would like to know if there is a way to create output data sets directly through a R notebook

You will not be able to create the dataset through the R API. However, just like a recipe does, you can write the content of any existing dataset.

share the R notebook with other colleagues

You can provide notebook templates, typically you would do this through a plugin, here is the documentation about this component. https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/notebooks/predefined-notebooks.html#creating-your-own-prebuilt-templates

Also, can a R notebook be created and executed independently without an R recipe in the DSS project/flow

When creating an R recipe, you can convert it to a notebook, and vice versa. You cannot have a notebook as a step in the flow. You can run a notebook and do whatever you want, but this will not appear in the flow, so it's not great for reproducibility and auditing.

0 Kudos