DSS fail to install on Mac M1

Solved!
mgirdwood
Level 2
DSS fail to install on Mac M1

Hi 

Can anyone confirm if the community edition is working on the new M1 chip ?

For confirmation I have attempted both the Terminal suggestion and the edit of the .sh file suggestion from the previous post a week or so ago (DSS Startup failed on MacOS 11 Big Sur)

error message from the Terminal suggestion

ERROR: The executable /Users/markgirdwood/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/pyenv/bin/python is not functioning

ERROR: It thinks sys.prefix is '/private/var/folders/8m/jd7dsn9s3h587bwqk21c9pq00000gn/T/dku_virtualenv.XXXXXX.mhbUVAFN/virtualenv' (should be u'/Users/markgirdwood/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/pyenv')

ERROR: virtualenv is not compatible with this system or executable

[-] Error: could not initialize Python virtualenv in /Users/markgirdwood/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/pyenv

and after the .sh edit the following error

ERROR: The executable /Users/markgirdwood/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/pyenv/bin/python is not functioning

ERROR: It thinks sys.prefix is '/private/var/folders/8m/jd7dsn9s3h587bwqk21c9pq00000gn/T/dku_virtualenv.XXXXXX.zp12NJSj/virtualenv' (should be u'/Users/markgirdwood/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/pyenv')

ERROR: virtualenv is not compatible with this system or executable

[Install] [-] Error: could not initialize Python virtualenv in /Users/markgirdwood/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/pyenv

any help will be very appreciated

thanks - Mark

1 Solution
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Please note this updated solution for installing Dataiku on a Mac M1: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/DSS-installed-on-Mac-M1/m-p/27513/highlight/tru...

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as ‘Accepted Solution’ to help others like you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
tgb417

@mgirdwood 

As far as I know, the Big Sur question earlier was on Intel Macintosh which of course can also run on Intel Computers.

I've previously asked a similar question and got the answer attached here.

https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/DSS-on-ARM-or-AMD-Ryzan-9-Processors/m-p/9795/h...

--Tom
mgirdwood
Level 2
Author

Thanks Tom ,

From that previous answer I will assume then that there could be quite a wait for the port of DSS.  Shame as this is the first application I have tried so fat hat has failed to run on the M1 although of course I recognise that there are many underlying applications that make up the Dataiku solution which is a much greater complexity than most software.  Back to the iMac then.

0 Kudos
tgb417

@mgirdwood 

This weekend I've learned that you can run command-line tools compiled into Intel Code on an M1 computer using Rosetta 2 using the command:

arch -x86_64 

https://cutecoder.org/software/run-command-line-apple-silicon/

Not clear that this will help a lot with Dataiku because there are so many moving parts.

--Tom
0 Kudos
Sarissa
Level 2

OK, I am stuck until this gets fixed on my new M1 machine. My old machine is choking on the RAM needs for DSS 8.0. So, I am at my wits end.

I am not well schooled using Terminal instructions, but I tried the .sh edit, the Terminal restart, and the arch -x86 command (very briefly).

Nothing has worked. I have attached the bottom of the error window. Error 137 is what is getting me. Any ideas on why that is happening?

I took my entire dss_home file from my MacBook Air. It is sitting nicely in my new install of DataScienceStudio on a fast new machine. As someone who has generally used the DMG files and GUI to start DSS, I may be at my limit to understand what is going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

@Sarissa If you are on Big Sur version, please check the solutions provided here:

DSS Startup failed on MacOS 11 Big Sur 

I hope this helps!

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as ‘Accepted Solution’ to help others like you!
0 Kudos
Sarissa
Level 2

@CoreyS Yes, I did everything in that other post DSS Startup failed on MacOS 11 Big Sur . The issue is the new M1 (ARM-Apple Silicon) chip. None of the other Big Sur hacks work on the M1 chip, as far as I can tell.

Has Dataiku configured DSS 8.0.2 for the M1 chip? This is a very specific questions for Big Sur running on M1.

0 Kudos
kramer003
Level 1

I'm running into the same issue on M1. Any thoughts? I tried to manually install the tar files using rosetta 2 as shown below, with no lock

https://cutecoder.org/software/run-command-line-apple-silicon/

I am getting the same venv error.

0 Kudos
tgb417

@kramer003 ,

The issue is that a bunch of the open-source tools that Dataiku is based on, have not been either configured to work through Resetta2 or re-compiled for Apple Silicon.  Even Mac App Installers like Homebrew are still working to get the first Big Sur Support (which Dataiku now has in DSS 8.0.4, release a few days back).  But the M1 (Apple Silicon) changes are going to be a significantly bigger set of changes for the Apple Community, The Data Science Community, and Dataiku to complete.  I've not yet heard any plans from the Dataiku Team on M1 (Apple Silicon) support.

--Tom
0 Kudos
Davidataiku11
Level 1

Hi,

Is the new version DSS 9 now compatible with the chip M1 from Apple ? I tried to install DSS unsuccessfully. Apple requested an application from Apple store or an identified developper. I authorized DSS in security and confidentiality despite this warning, but it didn't work again.

If you have any solution, I'll appreciate.

David

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi @Davidataiku11 and welcome to the Dataiku Community. At this time DSS installation on Apple M1 MacBooks is not supported. We currently do not have an ETA for a compatible release. More information about installing DSS on macOS can be found in our documentation.

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

For anyone who may see this thread please see the interesting entry from @Antonius who installed DSS on their Mac M1: DSS installed on Mac M1 

0 Kudos
David_Martin_Co
Level 1

Thanks to follow up, but the DSS issue with Mac Big Sur and chip M1 is quite different from Mini Mac, isn't it?

David

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

For anyone accessing this thread, as referenced please note of this update from Apple. Since this is a known limitation due to python compilation issues (not really DSS but still) you can try to workaround this by installing the Rosetta emulator: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Please note this updated solution for installing Dataiku on a Mac M1: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/DSS-installed-on-Mac-M1/m-p/27513/highlight/tru...

0 Kudos