Reorder column list in a Prepare Recipe Move Step

User Story:

As a data analyst who likes their columns in a certain order for easy data evaluation I would like to be able to reorder the column names in a move recipe step after initial recipie creation in the same way I can re-order text replacements in a text replacement step.  This would save time when I don't get the order correct the first time.

COS:

• The ability to create the step by dragging columns around and building the step on the fly should continue to work for the last steps in a visual recipe.

Notes

I create long move visual recipe steps sometime with dozens of columns listed in a single step.  However, I don't always get the order of the columns correct the first time I create a move recipe step. This leads to having to delete the move step and recreate the move step every time I want to reorder.  (I know that I can create another move step but that leads to a messy set of steps in a move recipes).

--Tom
8 Comments

My work around is to copy the step onto my computers clipboard.  Paste the step into a program editor. Edit the json that is the visual recipe step.  Then copy the step back into the clipboard.  And then paste it into dataiku DSS.  However, it would be SOOOO much nicer if I could just drag the column around within the visual recipie on the screen.

--Tom

My work around is to copy the step onto my computers clipboard.  Paste the step into a program editor. Edit the json that is the visual recipe step.  Then copy the step back into the clipboard.  And then paste it into dataiku DSS.  However, it would be SOOOO much nicer if I could just drag the column around within the visual recipie on the screen.

Hi Tom, I am confused, you can already drag and drop columns in the Prepare recipe, just drag them from dots left to the column name. Also you can change to the Columns View you move columns around by drag and drop (again grab them by the dots). This even works if you have a filter so you can move filtered columns relative to each other.

Hi Tom, I am confused, you can already drag and drop columns in the Prepare recipe, just drag them from dots left to the column name. Also you can change to the Columns View you move columns around by drag and drop (again grab them by the dots). This even works if you have a filter so you can move filtered columns relative to each other.

One solution to avoid having to recreate the Move steps is to group the multiple move steps together so they don't show up as single steps unless you expand the group.

One solution to avoid having to recreate the Move steps is to group the multiple move steps together so they don't show up as single steps unless you expand the group.

PS: I think I just figured out what you want, you want the Raw Text Edit mode used in the Text Replacement:

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 14.50.21.png

to be used for Column moves. So you want a Column Text Edit Mode. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

PS: I think I just figured out what you want, you want the Raw Text Edit mode used in the Text Replacement:

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 14.50.21.png

to be used for Column moves. So you want a Column Text Edit Mode. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Turribeach 

I'm not surprised that this was a bit confusing.  Let me take a bit of an additional go on this.

Once the Column moves get into a recipe step on the left hand side the order is mostly stuck.  If you re-order the same column after it is in the move recipe step it typically creates another recipe step.  In for example the replace recipe, once you have the ordered set of replaces in place you can then re-order the set of replaces.

I do see that there is a bit more control when you have the recipe setup to position "at end", it will re-calculate a bit.  However, I'm trying to not have multiple move steps at the end of a visual recipe. Even in a group.

--Tom

@Turribeach 

I'm not surprised that this was a bit confusing.  Let me take a bit of an additional go on this.

Once the Column moves get into a recipe step on the left hand side the order is mostly stuck.  If you re-order the same column after it is in the move recipe step it typically creates another recipe step.  In for example the replace recipe, once you have the ordered set of replaces in place you can then re-order the set of replaces.

I do see that there is a bit more control when you have the recipe setup to position "at end", it will re-calculate a bit.  However, I'm trying to not have multiple move steps at the end of a visual recipe. Even in a group.

Yeah, I got it now. Having the Column Text Edit Mode will allow not only for multiple reordering actions to be done in a single step, future updates and also allow for multi-select, moving multiple columns at the same time or even taking the column list to an external tool to sort it by whatever condition. So really handy. 

PS: Didn't know about the Raw Text Edit mode in Text Replacements. 

Yeah, I got it now. Having the Column Text Edit Mode will allow not only for multiple reordering actions to be done in a single step, future updates and also allow for multi-select, moving multiple columns at the same time or even taking the column list to an external tool to sort it by whatever condition. So really handy. 

PS: Didn't know about the Raw Text Edit mode in Text Replacements. 

The Raw Text Edit by it's self would be OK to solve my problem.
However, what I had envisioned was more like the replace recipe order changes.

Image: Shows icons that can be used to change the order of items in a recipe stepImage: Shows icons that can be used to change the order of items in a recipe step

However, I did not want to be prescriptive as to method.  Your suggestion would also get the same thing done well enough.

--Tom

The Raw Text Edit by it's self would be OK to solve my problem.
However, what I had envisioned was more like the replace recipe order changes.

Image: Shows icons that can be used to change the order of items in a recipe stepImage: Shows icons that can be used to change the order of items in a recipe step

However, I did not want to be prescriptive as to method.  Your suggestion would also get the same thing done well enough.

@Turribeach 

Regarding using groups, my visual recipes are complicated enough.  I'd prefer not to have a group just to re-order a few columns. One action one step

--Tom

@Turribeach 

Regarding using groups, my visual recipes are complicated enough.  I'd prefer not to have a group just to re-order a few columns. One action one step