Message users currently logged in to DSS

It would be great to message users who are currently logged in to DSS. This is would useful for communicating about imminent shutdowns of DSS for maintenance or resolution of problems. 

The message would ideally pop up on the users DSS UI and stay displayed until acknowledged.

I believe this is different from the previously submitted idea ability to message to all the users. That idea described adding a message to the login page. Thus the message would be seen over time as users logged in.

This idea is for sending an immediate time sensitive message to users who are currently logged in.

The two ideas are complementary - one might start with messages to users as they log in announcing a planned downtime and then right before the downtime, use the immediate message function to remind users they need to log off.

Marlan

5 Comments
ThomasW
Dataiker

Status changed to: Developing

AshleyW
Dataiker

We did it!

Your idea has become reality and was released in 12.1. DSS Administrators can now display messages to end users to alert them of an imminent event. 

Take care,
Ashley

Status changed to: Released

We did it!

Your idea has become reality and was released in 12.1. DSS Administrators can now display messages to end users to alert them of an imminent event. 

Take care,
Ashley

This is great! Would you please point me to the documentation of this feature? I see it on the v12.1 release notes but not sure how to use it. Thanks!

This is great! Would you please point me to the documentation of this feature? I see it on the v12.1 release notes but not sure how to use it. Thanks!

Great to hear @AshleyW - thanks! We will be using it next week for our upgrade!

Marlan

Great to hear @AshleyW - thanks! We will be using it next week for our upgrade!

Marlan

For anyone looking for this it's on the Themes & Customization screen (Alert Banner). And it won't appear on Admins, only on regular users. Seems to work pretty well...

For anyone looking for this it's on the Themes & Customization screen (Alert Banner). And it won't appear on Admins, only on regular users. Seems to work pretty well...