Embed charts or dashboards into webpages

Hi,

many times we need to share objetcs generated withn Dataiku (charts, dashboards, graphics, etc...) with people who don't have (or simply don't want) to access to the DSS. To share such objects three common ways are: 
a) export the charts to PDF and send the originated document;
b) give a dashboard view only access to users (but in this case they need to login into DSS);
c) develop a Webapp.
The first option requires some manual intervention, while the second one requires some maintenance tasks; the third option can be the best option, but requires to develop a webapp, which takes some time and skills (and in addition to this the application makes use of the computer resources).
Some other applications make available their charts as portlet or as objects which are sort of chart or dashboard paragraph available to be embedded into an <iframe> tag from another (web) page. In this way graphical (and not only) objects could be made available to people without access to DSS and without the need to develop a web application.

To make a use case, consider a daily updated forecast which needs to be consulted by marketing or sales personnel. 

Rgds. Giuseppe

11 Comments

I completely agree. Some kind of guest role in Dataiku would be very helpful. The purpose of dashboards is often to illuminate data for non-data-scientists. It would be really wonderful to be able to share dashboards out to anyone the same way I can share APIs out to anyone, and even better, add a Guest role to Dataiku (basically a free account) that allows credentialed and permissioned access to "public"-facing features (such as dashboards, APIs, webapps) without burning license seats. Often, data comes with guidelines about access logs and access control policy, so the guest account route would be optimal for organizations with those restrictions.

My team has been using Tableau to visualize our outputs. So far, it's been fairly easy to integrate, but Tableau Prep is also a viable alternative to Dataiku for simpler projects. In Tableau, my team has a simple workflow using an Active Directory integration. All we have to do is add users to an AD group and their Viewer role accounts will be generated in Tableau, allowing them access. In the same way Tableau Prep is an alternative to Dataiku for simple projects, Dataiku dashboards are also a great alternative to Tableau for simple visualizations, and it would be wonderful to be able to share them to simplify data science workflows. The dashboarding capability is good enough that teams often include screenshots of Dataiku dashboards in emailed reports rather than taking the extra time to port the data over to Tableau. Additionally, Dataiku license seats are easier to acquire in my org than Tableau Creator seats, so for light dashboards it may be a great way to enable lighter users who can't easily justify Tableau licenses to get their data visualized and distributed.

I completely agree. Some kind of guest role in Dataiku would be very helpful. The purpose of dashboards is often to illuminate data for non-data-scientists. It would be really wonderful to be able to share dashboards out to anyone the same way I can share APIs out to anyone, and even better, add a Guest role to Dataiku (basically a free account) that allows credentialed and permissioned access to "public"-facing features (such as dashboards, APIs, webapps) without burning license seats. Often, data comes with guidelines about access logs and access control policy, so the guest account route would be optimal for organizations with those restrictions.

My team has been using Tableau to visualize our outputs. So far, it's been fairly easy to integrate, but Tableau Prep is also a viable alternative to Dataiku for simpler projects. In Tableau, my team has a simple workflow using an Active Directory integration. All we have to do is add users to an AD group and their Viewer role accounts will be generated in Tableau, allowing them access. In the same way Tableau Prep is an alternative to Dataiku for simple projects, Dataiku dashboards are also a great alternative to Tableau for simple visualizations, and it would be wonderful to be able to share them to simplify data science workflows. The dashboarding capability is good enough that teams often include screenshots of Dataiku dashboards in emailed reports rather than taking the extra time to port the data over to Tableau. Additionally, Dataiku license seats are easier to acquire in my org than Tableau Creator seats, so for light dashboards it may be a great way to enable lighter users who can't easily justify Tableau licenses to get their data visualized and distributed.

Noticed that this has been talked about formerly. It sounds lik solution is to produce a webapp, but issue is that this affects resources on the DSS instance increasing their usage.

GN

Noticed that this has been talked about formerly. It sounds lik solution is to produce a webapp, but issue is that this affects resources on the DSS instance increasing their usage.

GN

I think creating a webapp is also a lot more work than creating a dashboard

I think creating a webapp is also a lot more work than creating a dashboard

AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @gnaldi62 ,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Indeed, a public dashboard is going to be one that is viewable by all users w/ access to a project, including those who are dashboard-only users. If you have R/W project content permissions to a project, you'll be able to view all insights and dashboards regardless of their being private or public. You can also set up your DSS instance to allow PDF exports of dashboards or to set up a scenario that sends a PDF as an email.

Have you explored using a public webapp to allow those external users access? Generally, making information available via a public link can be a governance and data security issue; I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on that and I agree with @natejgardner that creating a webapp is more effort.

Would the suggestion to have a guest account more accurately summarize what you're asking for: an easy to get seat in Dataiku that gives users credentials and permissions to access certain assets that are in Dataiku DSS?

Ashley

Status changed to: Gathering Input

Hi @gnaldi62 ,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Indeed, a public dashboard is going to be one that is viewable by all users w/ access to a project, including those who are dashboard-only users. If you have R/W project content permissions to a project, you'll be able to view all insights and dashboards regardless of their being private or public. You can also set up your DSS instance to allow PDF exports of dashboards or to set up a scenario that sends a PDF as an email.

Have you explored using a public webapp to allow those external users access? Generally, making information available via a public link can be a governance and data security issue; I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on that and I agree with @natejgardner that creating a webapp is more effort.

Would the suggestion to have a guest account more accurately summarize what you're asking for: an easy to get seat in Dataiku that gives users credentials and permissions to access certain assets that are in Dataiku DSS?

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

thank you for your feedback. I agree that similar functionality could be achieved by either developing a Webapp or having  guest user. but I was thinking about sort of making a chart or dashboard paragraph available to be embedded into an <iframe> tag from another (web) page. Anyway, I understand that this may add some burden to the instance (DSS is not a BI tool).

Regards.

Giuseppe

Hi Ashley,

thank you for your feedback. I agree that similar functionality could be achieved by either developing a Webapp or having  guest user. but I was thinking about sort of making a chart or dashboard paragraph available to be embedded into an <iframe> tag from another (web) page. Anyway, I understand that this may add some burden to the instance (DSS is not a BI tool).

Regards.

Giuseppe

AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @gnaldi62 ,

Would you edit your original post to include the detail you've added in your response? This way it'll be clear that the idea is about being able to package a dashboard or a chart in a way that it's accessible from outside of DSS, and not about guest users.

Thasnk!

Ashley

Hi @gnaldi62 ,

Would you edit your original post to include the detail you've added in your response? This way it'll be clear that the idea is about being able to package a dashboard or a chart in a way that it's accessible from outside of DSS, and not about guest users.

Thasnk!

Ashley

Ashley,

not clear to me what you mean by "edit your original post" as I cannot modify it anymore. So isn't the statement " without the need to be logged into DSS" sufficient ?

Rgds.

Giuseppe

Ashley,

not clear to me what you mean by "edit your original post" as I cannot modify it anymore. So isn't the statement " without the need to be logged into DSS" sufficient ?

Rgds.

Giuseppe

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

@gnaldi62 you can edit the idea! select the options button towards the top lift and select edit idea:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 11.45.16 AM.png

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as ‘Accepted Solution’ to help others like you!

@gnaldi62 you can edit the idea! select the options button towards the top lift and select edit idea:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 11.45.16 AM.png

AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @gnaldi62 ,

This idea has been added to our backlog, thanks for sharing it with us. For everyone else, kudos the original post to signal that you're interested in Dataiku developing and releasing this suggestion!

Take care,

Ashley

Status changed to: In Backlog

Hi @gnaldi62 ,

This idea has been added to our backlog, thanks for sharing it with us. For everyone else, kudos the original post to signal that you're interested in Dataiku developing and releasing this suggestion!

Take care,

Ashley

@AshleyW @CoreyS just stumbled upon this very similar idea to one I just posted: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Embed-Dataiku-Objects-Workspaces-Apps-Dashboards/idi-...

Apologies if this is duplicative, however, I think reader/free accounts are useful, but there are so many assets created from Dataiku today, a true embed type code snippet should be in the works, similar to what Tableau has available today to embed dashboards and workbooks. External web apps are great, but generally we like to keep DSS auth in place as external apps require implementing and managing bespoke id management services, onboarding of the new app into infosec databases, info checks and more (aka lots of overhead). It would be quite easy to sync LDAP groups across apps + DSS to share user info, etc.

@AshleyW @CoreyS just stumbled upon this very similar idea to one I just posted: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Embed-Dataiku-Objects-Workspaces-Apps-Dashboards/idi-...

Apologies if this is duplicative, however, I think reader/free accounts are useful, but there are so many assets created from Dataiku today, a true embed type code snippet should be in the works, similar to what Tableau has available today to embed dashboards and workbooks. External web apps are great, but generally we like to keep DSS auth in place as external apps require implementing and managing bespoke id management services, onboarding of the new app into infosec databases, info checks and more (aka lots of overhead). It would be quite easy to sync LDAP groups across apps + DSS to share user info, etc.