Debug plugin code using visual studio

piyushk
Level 4
Debug plugin code using visual studio

Is there a way to debug plugin code in visual studio code. I tried installing Dataiku extension and can see projects and plugins. But unable to figure out a way to Debug it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Clรฉment_Stenac

Hi,

The idea is that you don't need to do anything specific. Either through the IDE integration or Git integration, you can download code from DSS to your IDE, and you can also perform the API calls to DSS remotely from your IDE. Therefore, the code runs "normally" in your IDE and you can use your IDE's native debugging functionalities.

You may be interested in a more detailed write-up here: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Using-Dataiku-DSS/Debugging-with-DSS/m-p/6073

piyushk
Level 4
Author

I read the link shared by you and I am still unable to figure out, how to run plugin code from VS Code. I want to debug Sharepoint Online plugin to understand its working and implement solution based on user requirement.

I can see Run button for recipes in VS Code. For recipes, it is not the case.

Can you share code snippet, demonstrating how to run and debug recipe code from VSCode?

PluginDebug.jpg

0 Kudos
Clรฉment_Stenac

Hi,

To run plugin code *in Dataiku*, you'll first need to push the plugin to your Git and update it from Dataiku. That's what the "Run" button for recipes does under the hood.

But don't forget that VSCode can run code itself. That's the whole point of using an IDE in the first place. You'll need to write your own main that calls into the library code of the plugin.

0 Kudos

@Clรฉment_Stenac @piyushk 

FYI.  The NYC Dataiku User Group will be holding a group meeting at which we will be discussing VS Code and Dataiku.  Given your interest in this subject, we would love to have you join us for that conversation on Wednesday 4/7 at 11:00 am EDT.  For further information and to RSVP click here.

--Tom