Dataiku docker image works locally but seems to break on Azure Webapp

Florent
Florent Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Dataiku DSS Developer Posts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I have tried to install Dataiku in a docker container (with the official image, and with a custom image)

both works locally, with persistence (throught mounting a folder in /home/dataiku/dss)

However, when I try to deploy the same docker image on Azure Webapp (or Azure Webapp for Containers, which is the same), with a mount on a NFS drive (built on an Azure File Storage), the installation seems to work, but the app doesn't start. And there is no error

The only warning that keeps repeating is :

Unlinking stale socket /datadrive/DATA_DIR/run/svd.sock

Any idea why it doesn't works ?

Operating system used: Linux / Docker

Answers

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,925 Neuron

Running Dataiku in Docker is a complex setup and not recommended:

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/other/container.html

You can run compute jobs in Docker or Kubernetes if you want:

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/containers/docker.html#running-in-docker

• Florent
    Florent Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Dataiku DSS Developer Posts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your answer,

Since I am using the Free Edition for a single personal project, I'm not concerned by containerized execution

I am also very familiar with Docker, so I hear the warning, but I still want to understand the issue with this specific kind of installation

I have also build Docker images with dataiku which works perfectly fine locally, my main issue is about having the DATA_DIR on a mounted NFS Drive from Azure File Storage

Thanks,

Florent

• Turribeach
    Turribeach Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Neuron, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,925 Neuron

If you are using the Free Edition for a single personal project I fail to see what value you will get by moving Dataiku into an unsupported configuration which adds complexity for no real extra benefit. Furthermore the MacOS and Windows Dataiku installers can upgrade your DSS installation smoothly when a new version is released. Adding docker into the mix will remove that capability. And with Dataiku now having releases pretty much every two weeks it's something that you should take advantage of to be on the latest and greatest version.

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…