Why Aren't Record Counts Computable by Default?

tanguy
Why Aren't Record Counts Computable by Default?

In my DSS flows, I always activate record counts to check the volume of my datasets. However, it is cumbersome to activate them one by one, and it seems that it is not possible to activate them by default for an entire project.

Why doesn't DSS allow this?

Operating system used: RHL 8

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Turribeach

Because computing them requires extra CPU cycles so it's not something Dataiku would mandate needs to be done by default. Then there is the "tyranny of the default" which means that most people won't change defaults so defaults have to be thought with that in mind.

0 Kudos
tgb417

@tanguy ,

Iโ€™d suggest that you put this in as a product idea.  I would also love not to have to go to each dataset I create and set a the flag to computer the counts.  Iโ€™d also love not to have to refresh the screen [CMD]+R on Mac or  (Ctrl)+R on PC to get the date to update on the hover for data objects.

Iโ€™d think that Iโ€™d like the feature on the individual account level. So my behavior is different than others behavior when it come to this aspect.  @Turribeach brings up a good point about the tyranny of defaults. 

--Tom
0 Kudos
tanguy
Author

as requested ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Labels

?
Labels (2)

Setup info

?
A banner prompting to get Dataiku