Using Scenarios to automatically retrain models

Options
StephenEaster
StephenEaster Registered Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to Dataiku and the community and I'm using Dataiku online. Documentation indicates that scenarios can be used to "Automate the retraining of “saved models” on a regular basis, and only activate the new version if the performance is improved". This is exactly what I need to set up but I can't seem to find examples showing the specific steps I would setup in scenarios to accomplish this. Attaching my current flow (I got an error pasting a screenshot ). Any references to documentation / working examples would be great.

Thank you

Operating system used: windows

Operating system used: windows

Tagged:

Answers

• Alexandru
    Alexandru Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 1,209 Dataiker
    edited July 17
    Options

Hi @StephenEaster

Thanks for posting here. Sharing the solution we implemented on your end with the Community.

Added a custom python step in a scenario :

import dataiku

# Define variables necessary to run this code (Please assign your own environment's values)
    ANALYSIS_ID = 'XXXXXXX' # The identifier of the visual analysis containing the desired ML task
    ML_TASK_ID = 'XXXXXXX' # The identifier of the desired ML task
    SAVED_MODEL_ID = 'S-RESPONSEMODELING-ngsDEF4J-1656449809436' # The identifier of the saved model when initially running the scenario will use variables later
    TRAINING_RECIPE_NAME = 'train_Predict_Revenue_NDays_Company__regression_' # Name of the training recipe to update for redeploying the model

# client is a DSS API client.
    client = dataiku.api_client()
    p = client.get_project(dataiku.default_project_key())

# Retrieve existing ML task to retrain the model
    mltask = p.get_ml_task(ANALYSIS_ID, ML_TASK_ID)

# Wait for the ML task to be ready
    mltask.wait_guess_complete()

# Start train and wait for it to be complete
    mltask.start_train()
    mltask.wait_train_complete()

# Get the identifiers of the trained models
    # There will be 3 of them because Logistic regression and Random forest were default enabled
    ids = mltask.get_trained_models_ids()

# Iterating through all the existing algorithms to determine which one has the best AUC score or other metrics r2,auc, f1 etc.
    actual_metric = "r2"

temp_auc = 0
    for id in ids:
            details = mltask.get_trained_model_details(id)
            algorithm = details.get_modeling_settings()["algorithm"]
            auc = details.get_performance_metrics()[actual_metric]

if auc > temp_auc:
                best_model = id
                print("Better model identified")

print("Algorithm=%s actual_metric=%s" % (algorithm, auc))

# Let's compare the "best" model of the newly trained model vs the existing model to see which is better

details = mltask.get_trained_model_details(best_model)
    auc = details.get_performance_metrics()[actual_metric]

# We'll need to pull the current model ID from project variables and retrieve the model info
    vars = p.get_variables()

try:
        current_model = vars["standard"]["current_model"]
    except:
        current_model = SAVED_MODEL_ID

current_details = mltask.get_trained_model_details(current_model)
    current_auc = current_details.get_performance_metrics()[actual_metric]

# Let's deploy the model with the best AUC score (either new or existing)
    if auc > current_auc:
        model_to_deploy = best_model
    else: 
        model_to_deploy = current_model

print("Model to deploy identified: " + model_to_deploy)

# Update project variables to reflect the new model ID that is being deployed
    vars["standard"]["current_model"] = model_to_deploy
    p.set_variables(vars)

# Deploy the model to the Flow
    ret = mltask.redeploy_to_flow(model_to_deploy, recipe_name = TRAINING_RECIPE_NAME, activate = True)

The assumption here is the model is already trained and winning model was deployed to the flow. To obtain the required variables :

DKt95bYof-9VjT2PjtHmiuRb1Yoo0hvAiw (1).pngYqNMHh57PtP-BnagYuEHBS6avDSSQXdPmw (1).png

The Saved Model ID e.g that one that is already deployer Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 23.05.46.png

Regards,

• ccecil
    ccecil Registered Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AlexT

Hi Alex,

Looking to leverage the solution you've provided above to do automated weekly retraining of a model. Is there a way to make the value for 'SAVED_MODEL_ID' more dynamic? I ask because I worry that explicitly coding in the 'saved_model_id' won't be effective in future retrainings, if a new model ID performs better somewhere down the line.

Here is an example:

- Initially deployed model ID is model_123

- On initial retraining step, all potential models are evaluated against model_123

- Model_456 performs better than model_123 and is automatically deployed

- In the following week of retraining, the R-squared values would be compared against the initially deployed model (123) instead of the newly deployed model (456).

I appreciate your help in advance!

• Alexandru
    Alexandru Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 1,209 Dataiker
    Options

The example provided uses a project variable to determine the new best model.
    So it should update to model 456 and during the next it will check against model 456 and not 123.

# Update project variables to reflect the new model ID that is being deployed
    vars["standard"]["current_model"] = model_to_deploy
    p.set_variables(vars)

• ccecil
    edited July 17
    Options

@AlexT

Thanks, Alex.

If I run this first block of code the following week, won't all the project variables revert back to what is coded here?

# Define variables necessary to run this code (Please assign your own environment's values)
    ANALYSIS_ID = 'XXXXXXX' # The identifier of the visual analysis containing the desired ML task
    ML_TASK_ID = 'XXXXXXX' # The identifier of the desired ML task
    SAVED_MODEL_ID = 'S-RESPONSEMODELING-ngsDEF4J-1656449809436' # The identifier of the saved model when initially running the scenario will use variables later
    TRAINING_RECIPE_NAME = 'train_Predict_Revenue_NDays_Company__regression_' # Name of the training recipe to update for redeploying the model
  • Alexandru
    edited July 17
    Options

It will only revert to initial defined hard coded value if the variable is not present

try:
        current_model = vars["standard"]["current_model"]
    except:
        current_model = SAVED_MODEL_ID

• ccecil
    Options

I got it now. Thank you for clarifying!

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…