How to display HTML in managed folder on dashboard?

info-rchitect
Level 6
How to display HTML in managed folder on dashboard?

Hi,

I have created an interactive HTML file with data embedded.  Opening this in any browser works fine. I uploaded the file and tried to display in a dashboard using both managed folder and a Web Content tiles.

The manged folder, just shows the HTML text when the file is selected.  The Web Content tile requires a URL, it cannot eeference a file within the project.  Any options here?

thx

Operating system used: Windows 10

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LouisDHulst

Hi @info-rchitect ,

Could a Web App fit your needs?  

0 Kudos
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

A webapp would work but I am trying to find a solution my low-code peers could use.

0 Kudos

After a bit of testing I've found that you can put the HTML into a wiki article and use a Wiki Article tile to display the contents. You can change the contents of the wiki article with a Python script, so i guess you could use a Python recipe to read the HTML file contents, replace the wiki article content and save. 

Not quite a low-code solution and a bit convoluted but it might work.

0 Kudos
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

@LouisDHulst,

Thanks for the solution.  Yes, it's not low code but I suppose I could make an app out of the solution or somehow abstract it out.

I checked the DSS REST API and no luck.  I was hoping there was a way to serve a file from a managed folder as a URL.

thx

0 Kudos

Thinking a little out of the DSS box. Maybe everything does not need to be done by DSS itself.

If you have a low code way to create the html files.  And you donโ€™t have to create a bunch of these could you setup your web server to treat the DSS Managed folder as one of itโ€™s web content folder.  So both DSS and a web server are looking to the same directory.  The web server separate from DSS would provide the URL to show the content of the managed folder that could be displayed in the DSS dashboard. 

Depending on how you set this up there may be more and less secure ways to configure the web server and the DSS managed folder 

Just my $0.02. 

--Tom
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

Thanks @tgb417 for the thoughts, all good stuff.

To frame this in the bigger picture, Dataiku visuals are not, and don't intend to be, flexible enough to handle our use-cases.  So, we are currently using statistical software JMP to create the HTML of the visuals and then want to display them in the project dashboard where the underlying data was created.

For production level use-cases we would just create the web-app.  But we also use Dataiku as an 'Analytics Workbench' where individual engineers and teams of engineers can collaborate.  We typically have some Python adept analysts who create the Dataiku recipes and then we also have the JMP experts who help create the visualizations.  Would like the JMP folks to be able to easily make a dashboard that communicates their visual findings in an effective way.

Labels

?
Labels (2)

Setup info

?
A banner prompting to get Dataiku