How to create a column with a unique ID value

jrod31
Level 3
How to create a column with a unique ID value

Hi, 

I have 4 flow with different data information but with several companies in all flows.

How can I create a column with a unique ID for each company? This way I can merge the flows together based on the ID.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Turribeach

Why can't you use company name as the ID?

0 Kudos
jrod31
Level 3
Author

@Turribeach 

Because sometimes the company have sub-companies, or they have a name change because they got bought out etc. 

0 Kudos

You could use the company string to create a hash, but you're going to run into the same issues. If you have a "Company" column and a "SubCompany" column you could also just concat the two to get a unique string.

Do you want the ID to be unique for each company, or for each sub-company? If company A gets bought out by company B, should the unique ID be updated to reflect that? 

Ultimately this is going to depend on the design of your database, how new data comes in etc.

0 Kudos
jrod31
Level 3
Author

@LouisDHulst 

I would want to create an ID for the top-level company. 

Example:

If company A has an ID #1234 and buys company B. Now company B will have the same ID #1234. The same if there is a sub-company C under A or B, then it will have ID #1234. I would say like grouping them into a single ID. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos