Global environment variables set dynamically at project level without scenario

Solved!
Axolotl
Level 2
Global environment variables set dynamically at project level without scenario

Hi,

For security needs on project creation on Design node (not automation, no scenario), I would like to use a global variable that is updated at project opening.

For example, a user opens a project, go to a snowflake dataset, create a prepare recipe and run it.

I would like to pass user informations on query tag : {"projectKey": ${projectKey}, "userName":${userName}, ........ }

${projectKey} is ok as its a system variable, but I would like to update other environment variable in DSS settings.

Is there a way to do such thing ? Thanks in advance.

Operating system used: linux aws

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Turribeach

You should look at setting up the Snowflake connection to use per-user credentials instead:

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/sql/snowflake.html#to-set-up-the-connection-with-per-u...

The way you want to do things is not going to work. Project variables are not isolated from different users. You can easily have one user overwrite another user's variable in the same project. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Turribeach

Why do you need to do this? What is the actual requirement you are trying to achive?

0 Kudos
Axolotl
Level 2
Author

In the snowflake cloud environment I need to report for each query : who, when, why, from which tool, from which group, which recipe, etc.

Such "query tags" works with variables in DSS connection settings. So my variables needs to be dynamically updated.

Exactly like the builtin ${projectKey} variable. You can use it everywhere in the recipes. I'm trying to create per users variables, per groups variables, etc. 

An equivalent to .bashrc : a python script that will run at project opening and set the values of a couple of environment variables.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Turribeach

You should look at setting up the Snowflake connection to use per-user credentials instead:

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/sql/snowflake.html#to-set-up-the-connection-with-per-u...

The way you want to do things is not going to work. Project variables are not isolated from different users. You can easily have one user overwrite another user's variable in the same project. 

Axolotl
Level 2
Author

Ok, I understand what you mean. Its like having two people working on the same project and one checkout on a dev branch. The other will switch too.

One project share all the ressources to all the people.

I will look for a DSS way.

The solution with Snowflake connection is interesting. It will be quite different as i have SSO.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Turribeach

This might be a better without changing the authentication of the Snowflake connection:

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/sql/snowflake.html#switching-role-and-warehouse

You can pass a Snowfloke role from a user property. I wonder if oyu can use this to identify who the user is.