Git conflicts

Options
emher
emher Registered Posts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked through the documentation on how to resolve conflicts,

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/collaboration/version-control.html#handling-conflicts

As a read the proposed work flow,

1. Create a new branch B from the current branch A
  2. Push B to remote
  3. On the remote, merge A into B
  4. In DSS, switch back to A and drop local changes
  5. Pull

only the new branch B will be up-to-date (due to the merge in 3), so the steps 4-5 doesn't really make sense. Is it a bug in the documentation, e.g. should branch B be merged into A? Or is there another proposed workflow?

Working with many team member, we experience merge conflicts on a daily basis, so we are looking for the best possible workflow to resolve them.

Answers

• Andrey
    Andrey Dataiker Alumni Posts: 119 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @emher
    , thanks for letting us know. In the step 3 the direction should be reversed: a merge should be done from branch B into branch A.

Regards

• emher
    Options

Hi @Andrey

thanks for the update. Is there a reason why you don't do it the other way around? That is,

1. Create a new branch B from the current branch A
    2. Push B to remote
    3. On the remote, merge A into B
    4. Pull

This way, you avoid the switch-branch-and-drop-changes step.

• Andrey
    Andrey Dataiker Alumni Posts: 119 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@emher
    , Indeed this would give the same result, however the benefit of merging B into A is that the target branch never changes and the auxiliary branches are short-living and can be removed after the merge is done.

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,595 Neuron
    Options

@emher

I'm starting to work with Remote git and collaborations.

It's been a bit over a year since you posted this original post. I'm wondering if you have worked out new and better approaches to collaboration on DSS and the use of remote git repositories.

• emher
    Options

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress in this regard. Working with git in Dataiku remains painfull. I think this is a point where Dataiku really needs to improve.

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…