Compare two datasets column by column without using code recipe

Solved!
yesitsmeoffical
Level 3
Compare two datasets column by column without using code recipe

How to create dataset 3 (key = 'ID', join method = 'left') to compare datasets 1 and 2 WITHOUT using code recipe, i.e low code no code only. Thanks.

Dataset 1:

IDCol ACol BCol C
1AA11Z1
2BB100X2
3CC33Y5

Dataset 2:

IDCol ACol BCol C
1AA11Z1
2BB98X2
3CC33YY555
4DD44T6

Dataset 3 (string columns return true/false, numeric columns return ratio):

IDCol ACol BCol C
1TRUE100%TRUE
2TRUE98%TRUE
3TRUE100%FALSE

Operating system used: win 11

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @yesitsmeoffical,

You can utilize the "pre-join computed columns" step within the join recipe to calculate your computed columns. From your description it sounds like you want to return TRUE if dataset 1 column A == dataset 2 column A and if dataset 1 column C == dataset 2 column C. And it looks like for column B you want to return dataset 2 col B / dataset 1 column B.  

I created the following output dataset using your sample inputs and three computed columns:

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 3.51.29 PM.png

The string computed columns have the formulas:

if(val("d1__Col A") == val("d2__Col A"), 'TRUE', 'FALSE')
if(val('d1__Col C') == val('d2__Col C'), 'TRUE', 'FALSE')

The numeric computed column has the formula:

100 * (val('d2__Col B') / val('d1__Col B'))

I'm attaching an export of the project so that you can test it out by importing into your DSS instance. 

Thanks! 
Sarina

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @yesitsmeoffical,

You can utilize the "pre-join computed columns" step within the join recipe to calculate your computed columns. From your description it sounds like you want to return TRUE if dataset 1 column A == dataset 2 column A and if dataset 1 column C == dataset 2 column C. And it looks like for column B you want to return dataset 2 col B / dataset 1 column B.  

I created the following output dataset using your sample inputs and three computed columns:

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 3.51.29 PM.png

The string computed columns have the formulas:

if(val("d1__Col A") == val("d2__Col A"), 'TRUE', 'FALSE')
if(val('d1__Col C') == val('d2__Col C'), 'TRUE', 'FALSE')

The numeric computed column has the formula:

100 * (val('d2__Col B') / val('d1__Col B'))

I'm attaching an export of the project so that you can test it out by importing into your DSS instance. 

Thanks! 
Sarina