Your user profile does not allow you to write Julia code

Marek
Level 2
Your user profile does not allow you to write Julia code

Hi,

Please advise how to fix in DSS 8.0.1 (Free or Enterprise trial version) the error, as in the subject i.e. "Your user profile does not allow you to write Julia code"?

Thx.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tim-wright
Level 5

@Marek I believe the issue is related to your the permissions of your user profile within DSS. You will probably need to talk to someone with Admin privileges on your instance to try to sort it out.

I have not used or tested Julia within DSS before, so I suppose it is possible it might be related to that integration as well. Do you have permissions to write and execute Python/R (e.g. in a Python Recipe or notebook?). If so the issue may be specific to Julia integration.

In general your users needs to have privileges to โ€œWrite isolated codeโ€, "Write Unisolated Code", or "Create active Web content" if you want to be able to execute code on DSS. The exact details of your solution will depend on your security requirements and whether you have the User Isolation Framework enabled.

This link here: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/security/permissions.html#code-execution Details a lot of the permissions settings in DSS.

0 Kudos
Marek
Level 2
Author

@Tim I am the DSS admin, and can create, edit, and execute Python and R notebooks or code recipes. However I do not see any option to manage the security or privileges you mentioned.

Attached screenshots with the error and Admin's security settings. Would appreciate any advise how to solve the problem.

DSS_create_Julia_notebook_error.png

DSS_Admin_security_settings.png

0 Kudos
tim-wright
Level 5

@Marek I see that in your screenshot it says that Groups and Profiles are not available in your DSS license. Can I ask what version of DSS you are using? Maybe this is related to a trial (or otherwise restricted license)?? 

I have never used Julia with Dataiku, so cannot give you specifics on that. I did just install the Plugin from the plugin store and can confirm I was able to initiate a Julia notebook on my instance (You can see from my screenshot below I have full rights). It gave me an error about not finding the Julia kernel since I did install Julia on DSS (as described here: https://www.dataiku.com/product/plugins/julia/)

In general to see the DSS Users permissions in the frontend you can select the applications grid icon in the top right (red circle in image below). Then click on Administration -> Security -> Authorization Matrix 

You should be able to see a list of all the users and their permissions.

Authorization_Matrix.PNG

0 Kudos
Marek
Level 2
Author

I have a free edition with advanced features trial and do not see the Authorization Matrix.

Nevertheless, where can I find which DSS version is required to create and edit the Julia notebooks?

If I can create notebooks for the other programming languages like Python, R, or SQL, then the lack of support for Julia looks like an unintended limitation of the free edition, isn't it?

0 Kudos
tim-wright
Level 5

@Marek Long story short, I don't know. Someone else from Dataiku or with more experience on this specifically will probably have to weigh in on this.  My best guess is that it may have something to do with the free version (either intentionally or unintentionally), but honestly I can't say.

Looking through the comparison tables between different versions of DSS I don't see anything obvious that would lead me to believe it shouldn't work on the free Tier (as long as you are on DSS >= 8.0.0)

0 Kudos
Marek
Level 2
Author

Thank you indeed, @Tim, for your prompt responses.

Looking then forward for any further assistance from some more experienced.

0 Kudos
mahmoud_shihab
Level 3

Hi Marek,

Any updated/news on your question?

0 Kudos
mahmoud_shihab
Level 3

Hi Marek,

It seems, like for me, the issue is a matter of your license type, not the user permissions.

0 Kudos