Setting up PostgreSQL on local Macintosh

tgb417
Setting up PostgreSQL on local Macintosh

When setting up PostgreSQL on a local Macintosh computer for use with a local design instance of DSS, I've found that the default parameters for Postgres are set up to run on puny hardware, something like a Raspberry Pie.  Even a 7-year-old Macbook Air has benefited by making some Postgres performance tuning changes.

I find a good place to start is with one of the online tuning tools.  To do this I've been using https://pgtune.leopard.in.ua/#/

Postgres Tuning.jpg

This has given me some reasonable parameters and noticeable performance improvement across the DSS platform.

Of course, every situation is different, backup, go with care.

Has anyone else been doing Postgres tuning as part of one of your DSS instances.  What things are you seeing when it comes to getting Postgres to work with DSS.

--Tom
0 Kudos
1 Reply
tgb417
Author

All,

Here is a link to an interesting presentation from the Postgres Conference called Configuring PostgreSQL for Faster Analytic Query Performance.  This was given last week by Sebastian Dressler from Swarm64. Some very interesting findings around tuning and setting up PostgreSQL for data analytics.

--Tom
0 Kudos