Port range used by dss for containerized execution

JanMigon
Level 1
Port range used by dss for containerized execution

Hi,
I have setup an AKS cluster to use containerized execution functionality. The networking infrastructure is complicated, a lot of ports are closed and to open them I need to create tickets to the infra team. Therefore I want to know in advance what range of ports has to be opened for the communication between AKS cluster and a vm running dataiku. I was hoping that the standard communication on port 443 would work and the rest will be forwarded internally in dataiku, however it is not the case as I am seeing that running containers are trying to connect with dataiku VM on port 10001. 
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fchataigner2
Dataiker

Hi

all ports of the ephemeral port range on the DSS vm need to be reachable by the containers in the cluster. DSS doesn't funnel all communication over a single port.   

0 Kudos
JanMigon
Level 1
Author

Thanks for the response! Do you know whether there is any logic on consecutive port numbers that are being openen? What I mean by that, can I open only ports 10001-10030 if I want to have around 30 pods at maximum? Or is this undefined?
Thanks

0 Kudos
fchataigner2
Dataiker

ports are randomly chosen from the ephemeral range. If you want to run notebooks in K8S, there's also a fixed (hardcoded) 10000-30000 range, where ports can be chosen randomly again.

0 Kudos
JanMigon
Level 1
Author

Good to know. Thanks again!

0 Kudos