Permission Denied (storing a plot in a folder with python after updating to DSS 8.0.2)

Solved!
MRvLuijpen
Permission Denied (storing a plot in a folder with python after updating to DSS 8.0.2)

Hello Community, 

I am a bit puzzled by the following:

We upgraded our DSS instance from 7.0,.1 to the latest version 8.0.2 and have a small test project that contains of a few datasets, a visual group recipe and two simple python recipes (adding of a calculated column and storing a seaborn plot into a folder.)

When running the last python recipe to store a seaborn pairplot into the folder we receive an error 13 

Error in Python process: At line 36: <class 'PermissionError'>: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/a3fo0ZBA/iris_scatter.png'.

This happens on our UAT instance which we are hosting on Premise. On our Development instance on Premise this error does not occur. The error also doesn't occur on our cloud versions of both DEV and UAT instance.

We have no idea why this happens or how we can correct this.

Hope someone can help us solve this.

Thanks in advance, 

Marc Robert

0 Kudos
2 Solutions
Ignacio_Toledo

Hi @MRvLuijpen. These are the things I would do:

• Have you checked the permissions of the folder where the image is being stored?
  • Is the `dataiku` user the owner of the folder?
  • Maybe the file iris_scatter.png already exists and somehow in the upgrade it became a read-only file?

A command like

ls -alrh /appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/a3fo0ZBA/iris_scatter.png
## or
ls -alhrt /appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/a3fo0ZBA

might shed some more light into the problem.

Hope this helps!

Ignacio

View solution in original post

MRvLuijpen
Author

Hi community, 

After further investigation and with help of Dataiku Support we found out that the problem had to do with the actual rights of the main dataiku folder. Somehow this was altered.

Once again thanks your help.

Marc Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ignacio_Toledo

Hi @MRvLuijpen. These are the things I would do:

• Have you checked the permissions of the folder where the image is being stored?
  • Is the `dataiku` user the owner of the folder?
  • Maybe the file iris_scatter.png already exists and somehow in the upgrade it became a read-only file?

A command like

ls -alrh /appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/a3fo0ZBA/iris_scatter.png
## or
ls -alhrt /appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/a3fo0ZBA

might shed some more light into the problem.

Hope this helps!

Ignacio

MRvLuijpen
Author

Hello Ignacio, 

Thank you for your reply.

The result of these commands are:

/appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/2qmGlaPX/iris_scatter.png
-rw-rwx---+ 1 dataiku dataiku 42K Oct 19 16:28 /appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/2qmGlaPX/iris_scatter.png
$ ls -alrh /appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/2qmGlaPX
total 92K
-rw-rwx---+ 1 dataiku dataiku 42K Oct 19 16:28 iris_scatter.png
-rw-rwx---+ 1 user3 user3 42K Apr 23 15:14 iris_scatter_backup.png

As I understand it, this does not indicate anything strange.

Thx
Marc Robert
0 Kudos
Ignacio_Toledo

Hi Marc (@MRvLuijpen). In fact, the file iris_scatter_backup.png being owned by `user3` looks strange for me. Who is the current owner of the folder '/appl/dataiku/dss_data/MYPROJECT/2qmGlaPX' ? That is an information I don't see from your outputs.

Now, if you are using the "User Isolation" framework in you Dataiku node, then everything in fact might be OK, but I've not used the framework so I'm not expert. I would recommend in that case to create a ticket at support.dataiku.com

Good luck!

Ignacio

MRvLuijpen
Author

Hi Ignacio (@Ignacio_Toledo ). 

Thanks again for your reply. 

The actual owner of the folder is the user dataiku. And we are using the User Isolation framework. I raised a ticket with support.

Thanks again.

Marc Robert

MRvLuijpen
Author

Hi community, 

After further investigation and with help of Dataiku Support we found out that the problem had to do with the actual rights of the main dataiku folder. Somehow this was altered.

Once again thanks your help.

Marc Robert

0 Kudos