Managed Folder permission issues after upgrade from 8.0.2 to 9.0.3

Taylor
Level 3
Managed Folder permission issues after upgrade from 8.0.2 to 9.0.3

Hi all, 

Wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot this issue. We have only upgraded our Sandbox Design instance of Dataiku to version 9, so this isn't impacting production, but I definitely want to get this figured out before conducting the upgrade on any of our other instances.

I first noticed this issue when I received a managed folder permission denied error while trying to read content of a DSS managed folder into R or python.

Two things I'd like to point out:

1. In DSS (9.0.x; managed folders are now found in DATA_DIR/managed_datasets directory while in DSS 8.0.x, managed folders were found in DATA_DIR/managed_folders... Is this by design or did something go wrong here?
2. The permissions seem to be confusingly different across versions (and even within versions), I am the only admin of this Linux server and I am not aware of ever changing permissions on these folders.

Also, it is worth mentioning we use User Isolation Framework (formerly known as Multi-user Security). I did remember to re-install UIF after the upgrade completed, and I am able to execute code in the DSS 9.0.3 instance and I have confirmed that that code does end up running as my local Linux username on the server. So it appears like UIF is working correctly.

In our DSS 8.0.2 Production Design instance:

dataiku@<HOSTNAME>:/apps/DATA_DIR/managed_folders/<PROJECT_KEY>$ ls -la
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 7 dataiku dataiku 86 Apr 23 15:13 .
drwx--x--x 43 dataiku dataiku 4096 May 21 08:28 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 dataiku dataiku 6 Apr 23 14:56 46qCJApl
drwxr-xr-x 2 dataiku dataiku 6 Apr 23 15:13 BkG8esyz
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 dataiku dataiku 23 Nov 24 2020 nr3hjFI9
drwxr-xr-x 2 dataiku dataiku 6 Apr 23 14:56 pSET4yNu
drwxrwx---+ 2 dataiku dataiku 139 Nov 17 2020 sNotWKpG

In our DSS 9.0.3 Sandbox Design instance:

Are these supposed to be in the managed_datasets directory or should they be in the managed_folders directory? Did this change in version 9? 

dataiku@<HOSTNAME>:/apps/DATA_DIR/managed_datasets/<PROJECT_KEY>$ ls -la
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 5 dataiku dataiku 54 Jun 10 15:41 .
drwx------ 17 dataiku dataiku 4096 Jun 9 15:36 ..
drwxrwx---+ 2 dataiku dataiku 6 Jun 10 15:41 1bRtVNIx
drwxrwx---+ 2 dataiku dataiku 76 Jun 10 15:15 dOf1Ejt7
drwxrwx---+ 2 dataiku dataiku 23 Jun 9 15:36 rcjMEQKT

Unfortunately, these are two different projects on each server, so it isn't quite a 1-to-1 comparison, but I figured permissions should be identical?

Any help or guidance on what may have gone wrong or what to do to fix this would be greatly appreciated! If I don't hear anything, I think I'll just bring DSS down, attempt a reinstall of User Isolation Framework, and bring it back up to see if that resolves the issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Taylor
Level 3
Author
So of course immediately after posting this, I noticed something. Now in DSS 9.0, when you go to create a DSS managed folder, it looks like the default "store_into" value is "filesystem_managed" as opposed to the other (more sensible?) option of "filesystem_folder". Is there a way I can change the default for folders to be "filesystem_folder"? I don't seem to have this permission issue when folders are created and stored in "filesystem_folder". Follow-up, is there any benefit whatsoever to creating a DSS managed folder in the "filesystem_managed" "store-into" option?
0 Kudos
tgb417

@Taylor ,

These look like support ticket-worthy issues.  If you are using a paid license, I'd get a support ticket in right away.  Even if you are using the community edition the support team has often been very gracious and are often glad to hear about such things so that they can help others.

You can get a support ticket started by going to the (?) menu on the upper right side of the DSS screen.  -> Choose Get Help -> Open a Ticket

Do let us know how you get on with this.

--Tom
0 Kudos
fchataigner2
Dataiker

Hi,

whether or not a connection can be used to put managed folders on it is controlled by the "Allow managed folders" in its settings.

0 Kudos