Dataiku no longer starts after upgrade to macOS 13 Ventura

Options
Dante22
Dante22 Registered Posts: 4

I have just updated to macOS 13 Ventura and now Dataiku DSS no longer starts after the upgrade. I receive the following error:

Dataiku DSS start failed :

The Dataiku DSS installer closed with code 1

Operating system used: MacOS 13

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Dante22
    edited July 17 Answer ✓
    Options

I restarted the IS and tried again after running the update.

The below command now works:

~/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/bin/dss start

Thank you!

Answers

• Alexandru
    Alexandru Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 1,209 Dataiker
    edited July 17
    Options

Hi,

As MacOS ventura was released just today the launcher is not yet compatible. We will work on that.

To workaround these issues you can start DSS manually in your terminal run:

If you have a failed upgrade you can run the upgrade and then start DSS with this command. Replace 11.0.3 with the latest kit available.

~/Library/DataScienceStudio/kits/dataiku-dss-11.0.3-osx/installer.sh -d ~/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home -n -u

Thanks,

• Dante22
    edited July 17
    Options

Thank you for the prompt response.

When I use the command:

I get the below:

Waiting for DSS supervisor to start ...

backend STARTING

ipython STARTING

nginx STARTING

DSS started, pid=7254

Waiting for DSS backend to start ..

App doe snot start.

• Alexandru
    Alexandru Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered Posts: 1,209 Dataiker
    Options

Hi,

It may take up to 1 minute or so to start.

Can you please let us know what if you wait for a bit what you see exactly?

If it did not start please try :

~/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/bin/dss stop

Can you try running the upgrade:
    ~/Library/DataScienceStudio/kits/dataiku-dss-11.0.3-osx/installer.sh -d ~/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home -n -u

If that still doesn't help please generate an instance diag and submit a support ticket and attach this.

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/troubleshooting/obtaining-support.html

~/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home/bin/dssadmin run-diagnosis -c -v -s -l diag.zip

Thanks,

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,595 Neuron
    Options

@AlexT

If you think of it, would you post here when this has been resolved.

I did just today upgrade to 11.1.0. Starting to look into the new features.

• Alexandru
    edited July 17
    Options

Hi @tgb417

The incompatility with Ventura will be addressed in a future DSS release, and we will update the thread accordingly.

Besides the workaround provided, you can also edit the file:

~/Library/DataScienceStudio/kits/dataiku-dss-11.1.0-osx/scripts/install/install-deps.sh

Line:

if [ "$major" -eq 10 -a "$minor" -ge 12 -o "$major" -eq 11 -o "$major" -eq 12 ]; then

to :

if [ "$major" -eq 10 -a "$minor" -ge 12 -o "$major" -ge 11 ]; then

Save the changes and re-run the MacOS Launcher directly.

Thanks,

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,595 Neuron
    Options

When the upgrade that eventually fixes this issue is released will it typically override the changes to:

~/Library/DataScienceStudio/kits/dataiku-dss-11.1.0-osx/scripts/install/install-deps.sh

• Erlebacher
    Erlebacher Registered Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. In my case, I typed the "dss start' command, which did some initialization and exited. I then reran Dataiku on Ventura and it started fine. Of course, I have not yet put it through its paces.

• argdawgsea
    argdawgsea Registered Posts: 1
    Options

Thank you kind soul! This totally worked. Phew !

• AlexandreV
    AlexandreV Dataiker Posts: 28 Dataiker
    Options

Dataiku DSS 11.1.2 now supports macOS Ventura.

Running the launcher should guide you towards the update.

Best,

Alex

• Dante22
    Options
    It works after the update. Thank you!
  • tgb417
    Options

@AlexandreV

Thanks for the update.

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…