Dataiku free with AWS free tier

kasperbirkelund
Level 2
Dataiku free with AWS free tier

Hi everyone

I have been using Dataiku at work where they of course have a big setup with redshift and the whole shebang.

I was looking to have a similar personal setup for my own projects and some freelance work. Is this possible to set up with the free version of Dataiku and AWS free tier? (just working with flat files)

So that I run Dataiku in the browser and access it from any computer like I do at work and use computing power and storage on AWS? And give other people (only up to 3 i know) access to my projects?

Kasper

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tgb417

@kasperbirkelund 

From a technical point of view I know that you can run the free version of DSS on AWS.  Again from a technical point of view Iโ€™m not clear how well it would run on the free tear of AWS.  Data science processes do likes both a lot of RAM and high CPU and GPU processor counts.  Those features are not typically available on the free tear of AWS. 

Regarding using the free version of DSS for freelance work.  I would suggest that you read there licensing agreement.  It is my sense that Dataiku makes the free version available primarily for learning and evaluation of the product.  I donโ€™t know if the licensing agreement contains any specific provisions about commercial use of the free version. 

Depending on your use case the free version has a number of limitations on

• security (I think all accounts are admin in free version)
  • data stores and sources (you canโ€™t do things like hfs, however it does support local file stores and Postgres very nicely)
  • partitioning (is not available in the free version)
  • You can not create scenarios
  • you can not create APIs 

These limitations may or may not make it appropriate for your freelance use case.  

You might want to reach out to the Dataiku team to see if there are opportunities for full licenses that are priced appropriately for your freelance use case.   For example I donโ€™t know if there would be opportunities for you in there Partner program, Or if they might have a hosted version of DSS that might work for your use case.  

Finally if you are planning on using DSS for activities with non profits organizations you may want to take a look at Dataikuโ€™s ikigai program.  The Dataiku team has been very generous toward a number of not for profit organizations that I know, through this program.  

Given the disruptions in the world of employment I too have considered a freelance side gig that might use DSS.  I would be interested in hearing more about where this goes for you.  

--Tom
kasperbirkelund
Level 2
Author

Thank you Tom. Excellent suggestions and info.
Will try and ask them directly about this. Would make sense if they have some kind of solution for small freelancers as well.

I would also like to do some volunteer work for the environment (just dont know where to find it), so will also ask about this as well.

Kasper

0 Kudos
tgb417

@kasperbirkelund 

Iโ€™m working on several nonprofit volunteer data science programs right now.  The teams are full at the moment.  That said Iโ€™d love an opportunity for a zoom call to get to meet you.  There might be other opportunities in the future.  

--Tom
0 Kudos
kasperbirkelund
Level 2
Author

Ok. Can you send me some links/info on the organisations and projects?
I have only been in data science for 1,5 years so my skills are a bit limited on the more advanced ML and statistics stuff.

Feel free to add me:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kasperbirkelund/

tgb417

All,

What other uses are folks putting the free version of DSS to?

--Tom
0 Kudos
hugolsqrn
Dataiker

Hi Kasper,

Thanks for your interest in using Dataiku on AWS!

We're actually working on the release of a new offering that might be of interest to you.

I'd like to understand your context and, if relevant, share some information about this new offering.

Best,

Hugo

kasperbirkelund
Level 2
Author

Hi Hugo

That would be fine ๐Ÿ™‚

You can reach out on Linkedin?

Kasper

0 Kudos