DSS on ARM or AMD Ryzan 9 Processors

tgb417
DSS on ARM or AMD Ryzan 9 Processors

Given, Apple's migration to ARM processor design.  Does anyone know if DSS is ARM compatible?

I'm actually thinking about two different ARM implementations, one on the new Apple Silicon Macintosh Computers, the other on the Nvidia Jetson Xavier? (The nice thing about the Jetson Xavier is that you get NVidea GPUs.)

Second, has anyone run DSS on an AMD Ryzen 9 CPU, I've been wondering if anyone has run DSS on an ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14?

Thanks for any insights that you might have.

--Tom
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GCase
Dataiker

@tgb417 

I can speak to the 1st part. DSS is not ARM-compatible today. It's not just the code for DSS that will need to be ported, but all the different Open Source tools we combine into DSS that will need to be as well. Given the popularity of Apple as a development platform (all of us here at Dataiku use Macs for the most part), we will likely begin to look into it once we have more clarity from Apple. However, we have yet to see how Apple intends to ease the transition. For those of us who remember the last time Apple decided to trade processor architectures, swapping PowerPC for Intel chips, there was emulation and a long process of conversion. In a sense, we are back to the future as PowerPC was a RISC based chip and ARM is just Advanced RISC. If I remember correctly, it took roughly 3 - 4 years for the entire Mac ecosystem to move over. The ecosystem will move quicker this time with the popularity of iOS as the Operating System and Cloud VMs with ARM processors expediting development, but this definitely makes for interesting times for all of the Open Source tools in the data science space and what to do with ARM.

tgb417
Author

@GCase ,

I do remember the Power PC (RISC) to Intell (CISC) transition.  And the irony of moving back to ARM (a RISC processor) was not lost on me at all.  From the notes I see; The announcement was in 2005 and the first Mac OSX that only supported Intel was in August 2009. (So 4 years there.) Then finally Rosetta (1) support was dropped for applications in from the OS in 2011. (So maybe 6 years overall.)

Can you share if anyone on the Dataiku team has tried to use DSS with Rosetta 2.  I expect that there will be a 20% to 30% performance hit.  Particularly considering that DSS has a Java runtime component where just in time translation would likely have to occur.  I'm just sort of curious if the current code would even run at all?

--Tom
0 Kudos
tgb417
Author

@GCase 

Now that the Apple Silicon M1 chip is out and the performance is apparently very good.  We already have folks asking about using DSS on Apple Silicon.  

https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/DSS-on-ARM-or-AMD-Ryzan-9-Processors/m-p/9795/h...

--Tom
0 Kudos
tgb417
Author

Anyone using DSS on Ryzan?  My sense is that it fully implements the Intel instruction set.  However, it would still be great to hear if anyone has run DSS on a Ryzan 

--Tom
0 Kudos