DSS install on osx (python environment)

Solved!
Antonius
Level 2
DSS install on osx (python environment)

How do I change the default python environment when installing DSS on mac from the default 2.7 to 3.7?

I want this piece of the installer script:

[Install] [+] Initializing Python environment
[+] Initializing Python environment using platform default

[Install] + Using default base Python for this platform : /usr/bin/python2.7

to point to /usr/bin/python3 (which is my python3.7 installation...)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi @Antonius 

I assume you are using DSS9 because Python3.7 is supported starting only from DSS9. Also, if you have a previous DSS version and now upgraded to DSS9, before switching the python version please make sure that the code you have used for the built-in code env is compatible with Python3.7.

To switch the python version, you will need to rebuild the built-in env. For this please follow the next article: 

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/custom/python.html#rebuilding-the-builtin-python-env...

The upgrade command should be: 

dataiku-dss-VERSION/installer.sh -d DATA_DIR -u -P python3.7

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi @Antonius 

I assume you are using DSS9 because Python3.7 is supported starting only from DSS9. Also, if you have a previous DSS version and now upgraded to DSS9, before switching the python version please make sure that the code you have used for the built-in code env is compatible with Python3.7.

To switch the python version, you will need to rebuild the built-in env. For this please follow the next article: 

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/custom/python.html#rebuilding-the-builtin-python-env...

The upgrade command should be: 

dataiku-dss-VERSION/installer.sh -d DATA_DIR -u -P python3.7

tgb417

@sergeyd 

I was able to install python 3.6 on Mac OS 10.15.7 and then run the re-install python 3.6 in DSS. 

I used homebrew to install pyenv to install python 3.6 with the commands

# install pyenv
brew install pyenv pyenv-virtualenv pyenv-virtualenvwrapper
# install prerequesits for pyenv compilation
brew install openssl readline sqlite3 xz zlib
# install latest python 3.6 as of April 2021
pyenv install 3.6.13
# make python 3.6.13 the global default for Python
pyenv global 3.6.13

Then used the installation steps you recommended.  However, finding the directories for the following in the reinstall command was a challenge:

dataiku-dss-VERSION

is /Applications/DataScienceStudio.app/Contents/Resources/kit/

DATA_DIR

is /Users/[Your Home Directory]/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home

On my computer, the command you described turned out to be:

/Applications/DataScienceStudio.app/Contents/Resources/kit/installer.sh -d 
/Users/[Your Home Directory]/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home -u -P python3.6 

Note: You will have to replace your home director where it says [Your Home Directory]

I did not use the environment variable.

# setup the environment variable DKUPYTHONBIN
export DKUPYTHONBIN=/usr/local/bin/python3.7
# test the environment variable
echo $DKUPYTHONBIN

I did this with DSS 9.0.1 installed by homebrew.

--Tom
tgb417

For DSS 10.0.7 on Mac OS 10.15.7 using the new DSS Installer Application the location of the installer.sh file seems to have moved to 

DATA_DIR/kits/dataiku-dss-10.0.7-osx

That said I'm was having difficulties getting older code environments to load in DSS 10.0.7.  Turns out that a specific python library postal was the culprit.  I think that I have things resolved after reinstall of the python Library.

--Tom
0 Kudos
Antonius
Level 2
Author

Thanks! it did help the article regarding rebuild the environment, though tweaked for the mac mini I have.

0 Kudos
tgb417

@Antonius ,

What were your tweeks?  I have a similar config as you.

--Tom
0 Kudos
Antonius
Level 2
Author

Hi,

I picked the info for Linux and searched for the same process in Mac; I opened the Terminal and ran:

export DKUPYTHONBIN=/usr/local/bin/python3.7

I did a test to see if I did it right with:

echo $DKUPYTHONBIN

I did the above as to test if I could run DSS on my Mac mini M1 and it seems that it helped (plus other things I did, see post).