Connection refused

Jhun
Level 2
Connection refused

Local host connection to SQL server running on Datacentre 2019.

ERROR:

The TCP/IP connection to the host LOCALHOST, port 1433 has failed. Error: "Connection refused (Connection refused). Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.".

Steps done with no success:

1.Have  enabled TCP Port 1433 on SQL Management

2.Have already allowed Port 1433 on firewall

I'm not sure what I am missing so far.

Operating system used: Microsoft DataCenter 2019

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JordanB
Dataiker

Hi @Jhun,

Thanks for writing in! Can you please run the following command to confirm that the port is open? 

netstat -na | grep 1433

If the port is open, this command should show a LISTENING status. If nothing is returned, the port is not open and listening.

Within SQL Management, please perform the following steps: 

1. TCP/IP and choose Properties.
  2. Click on the IP Addresses tab.
  3. In the IPALL section, enter the port number 1433 in the TCP Portfield.

Then, please stop and start the SQL server.

Thanks,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Vicah
Level 1

if the commande "netstat -na | grep 1433" return none, what that mean?

0 Kudos
Turribeach

Dataiku doesn’t run on Windows so If you are saying it’s a local host connection then it must be you are running DSS in a VM. If that’s the case there are many reasons as to why the connection it might not work. You need to clarify what Virtualisation technology you are using and how is the network configured in the VM. 

0 Kudos
Jhun
Level 2
Author

Thank s for all your reply guys.

@JordanB I am a newbie with unix shell too aside from Dataiku. I tried executing "netstat -na" command on the DSS shell but gives me "Command not found" . Do I need to install something? But i tried executing netstat on command shell of ms windows and all ports are listening including port 1433. 

With the SQL Management which is installed on windows datacenter 2019. It is already set IPAll to 1433 and TCPIP Enabled.

@Turribeach I have installed VirtualBox within MS Data Center 2019. I just followed the steps here (Install Dataiku DSS Using Virtualbox or VMWare | Dataiku).  Is this still considered localhost? Have tried to specify the server name but gives me a different error relating SSL already.

Thank you again in advance. I never realise it was this challenging to install Dataiku but exciting though. 

0 Kudos
JordanB
Dataiker

Hi @Jhun,

Sorry that you're still having trouble. Just confirming, is the JDBC driver downloaded on the host machine (Virtual Box)? If not, please see this knowledge base article: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/sql/sqlserver.html#installing-the-jdbc-driver

Since you are hosting DSS on Virtual Box, then you would need to run netstat from there. You probably received "command not found" because netstat is not installed on your VM. Depending on the os, you would need to run the following to install netstat:

Debian/Ubuntu:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install net-tools

If you're using Centos, run: 

sudo yum install net-tools

And, make sure that the port is open.

If it is, the next place to check would be the network authorization on the SQL server endpoint (i.e. the list of IP addresses authorized for incoming connection) and see if DSS's host IP address isn't listed there. Can you confirm and see if this is the case?

Thanks!

Jordan

0 Kudos
Jhun
Level 2
Author

Thank you so much. Let me have a go.