improving documentation in scenarios

I sometimes find that scenarios lack documentation, particularly when it comes to documenting individual steps within a scenario.

Additionally, I am disappointed that (IMO) the new versions of Dataiku have resulted in a less user-friendly documentation experience. The 'summary' tab has disappeared, and the scenario description is now located in the right panel (as shown in the following screenshots).

dataiku v9
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

dataiku v11
MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

In my opinion, restoring the previous configuration would make the scenario description more visible, which I believe is preferable.

5 Comments

While in paper your point makes sense in realitywhat happened was that the Scenario screen was an oddity and wasn't consistent. The new design now matches all the objects in Dataiku: Flow Zones, Datasets, Recipes, Notebooks, Dashboards, etc. All of them share the same right actions pane with Details available to edit and add descriptions and labels. 

If you wish to expose Scenarios in a different way you can easily develop a WebApp in Dataiku and have full control of the UI. This WebApp can easily be used to trigger scenarios if desired.

While in paper your point makes sense in realitywhat happened was that the Scenario screen was an oddity and wasn't consistent. The new design now matches all the objects in Dataiku: Flow Zones, Datasets, Recipes, Notebooks, Dashboards, etc. All of them share the same right actions pane with Details available to edit and add descriptions and labels. 

If you wish to expose Scenarios in a different way you can easily develop a WebApp in Dataiku and have full control of the UI. This WebApp can easily be used to trigger scenarios if desired.

Thank you for your answer @Turribeach . While I understand your perspective, I'm not entirely convinced this is a positive change in this case ๐Ÿ˜‰. Anyway, if I miss the "summary" tab, I am eager for the ability to comment on steps within scenarios (as mentioned in my OP). For instance, for "build" steps, I often want to explain why I'm opting for a "build only this dataset", a "force rebuild" or a "required build". Additionally, I'd like to mention that I've prevented the building of a specific dataset in the flow by explicitly requiring its rebuild behaviour to be explicit. I believe developing a web app for this purpose would be excessive.

Thank you for your answer @Turribeach . While I understand your perspective, I'm not entirely convinced this is a positive change in this case ๐Ÿ˜‰. Anyway, if I miss the "summary" tab, I am eager for the ability to comment on steps within scenarios (as mentioned in my OP). For instance, for "build" steps, I often want to explain why I'm opting for a "build only this dataset", a "force rebuild" or a "required build". Additionally, I'd like to mention that I've prevented the building of a specific dataset in the flow by explicitly requiring its rebuild behaviour to be explicit. I believe developing a web app for this purpose would be excessive.

ktgross15
Dataiker

Hi @tanguy ,

Thanks for the feedback. Would adding the ability to comment on individual steps help?

Katie

Status changed to: Gathering Input

Hi @tanguy ,

Thanks for the feedback. Would adding the ability to comment on individual steps help?

Katie

Hi @ktgross15, thank you for addressing this issue!

"Would adding the ability to comment on individual steps help?"
YES! ๐Ÿ˜€

At the risk of being insistent, as mentioned in my previous messages (but maybe my initial request was a bit vague๐Ÿ˜ž

• "[IMO] scenarios lack documentation, particularly when it comes to documenting individual steps within a scenario"
  • "I am eager for the ability to comment on steps within scenarios"

Hi @ktgross15, thank you for addressing this issue!

"Would adding the ability to comment on individual steps help?"
YES! ๐Ÿ˜€

At the risk of being insistent, as mentioned in my previous messages (but maybe my initial request was a bit vague๐Ÿ˜ž

• "[IMO] scenarios lack documentation, particularly when it comes to documenting individual steps within a scenario"
  • "I am eager for the ability to comment on steps within scenarios"
ktgross15
Dataiker

haha i gotcha @tanguy !

added to our backlog ๐Ÿ™‚ will let you know if we move forward here

katie

Status changed to: In the Backlog

haha i gotcha @tanguy !

added to our backlog ๐Ÿ™‚ will let you know if we move forward here

katie