Mass change column width

User Story

As an Analyst with experience with spreadsheets.  I’d like to be able to change a set of columns to the same non-standard column width.  This would allow me to cram more columns with long column names into the width of my computer screen.  Thus allowing me to better and more quickly understand my data.

Notes:

• I do note that I can change all column widths back to the default column width.
  • This is a feature that is very helpful looking at a number of columns 
--Tom
6 Comments

Hi Tom, I think you forgot to say where do you expect this new functionality. I presume you intended this to added to the Explore dataset tab? Adopting Excel's features seems good to. People should be able to multi-select columns by holding Ctrl and any change in column width should impact all the selected columns. The other functionality they can copy is the double click on column width to reset the column width back to default width.

Hi Tom, I think you forgot to say where do you expect this new functionality. I presume you intended this to added to the Explore dataset tab? Adopting Excel's features seems good to. People should be able to multi-select columns by holding Ctrl and any change in column width should impact all the selected columns. The other functionality they can copy is the double click on column width to reset the column width back to default width.

@Turribeach 

Yes,  I mean anywhere where one has an explore tab that shows all columns in a dataset.  However, most importantly on the explore tab of a visual prepare recipe is where I had in mind.  I’m intentionally not prescribing a specific UI implementation,  But your idea of <control> clicking many columns and then adjusting the width of a single column sound like a good implementation.  

--Tom

@Turribeach 

Yes,  I mean anywhere where one has an explore tab that shows all columns in a dataset.  However, most importantly on the explore tab of a visual prepare recipe is where I had in mind.  I’m intentionally not prescribing a specific UI implementation,  But your idea of <control> clicking many columns and then adjusting the width of a single column sound like a good implementation.  

@Turribeach 

If you think this a good idea.  Please feel free to upvote this idea.  Thanks.

--Tom

@Turribeach 

If you think this a good idea.  Please feel free to upvote this idea.  Thanks.

Ah yes I forgot to vote, sorry. 

Ah yes I forgot to vote, sorry. 

ktgross15
Dataiker

Thanks @tgb417 

We have noted this request and will let you know if we move forward with development.

Best,

Katie

Status changed to: In Backlog

Thanks @tgb417 

We have noted this request and will let you know if we move forward with development.

Best,

Katie

@ktgross15 

Thanks for the update.

--Tom

@ktgross15 

Thanks for the update.